Steering wheel lock inop

Cuong Nguyen

I currently have the auto transmission out of the truck but was wondering how the steering wheel lock works. I was towing my pathfinder and I had a hell of a time trying to park it with the wheel turning the opposite direction of where I want the truck to go while in reverse. Is the because the shift lock switch in the shifter console? I do not have a key in the ignition either.

In the ignition theres a steering lock with a pin with a spring behind it and it pops into a hole in the steering shaft in the column and holds it in place when the wheel is centered just right to allow the holes and pin to line up, and since the holes only line up with the wheel in the "center" position, you could have the wheel turned one full revolution and it would lock the wheels themselves at an angle like you're describing above.

Sorry for the long winded post btw, just want to make sure it's as clear as possible.

Sent from inside my potato

The pin could be damaged or stuck in the ignition itself, have you tried giggling the steering wheel and tapping on the ignition to see if it will pop free?

If you can remove the anti tamper bolts (not really that hard with the proper tools) you may be able to find out why it isn't locking.

The spring is always compressed when the key is in any position besides OFF, I'm willing to bet that either the spring is sprung or that there's some crud/ a bur of metal or even a broken linkage in your ignition that's causing that pin to stay in the unlocked position.

If you take it completely apart be careful though, I've taken tons of ignitions apart and they can sometimes be a pain to put back together.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in to see if you figured anything out with the steering lock, any luck?

Been busy trying to figure what is the most beneficial way for me to tackle my motor mount frame issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to move my pathfinder. It was becoming an eyesore so I strapped down the wheel. There was a lot of tire scrubbing but parking it was 10x easier. I am starting to think I might have broke the steering lock pin.

20161004_191520.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the super late reply, I've been swamped with work and life :/ but it's a possibility that the pin could be broken, it's not really all that big and just sitting in the driver seat if you yank on the wheel hard enough you can easily break the lock pin if you get it just right.

• Like 1

Sorry for the super late reply, I've been swamped with work and life :/ but it's a possibility that the pin could be broken, it's not really all that big and just sitting in the driver seat if you yank on the wheel hard enough you can easily break the lock pin if you get it just right.

No problems. Life is more important than sitting behind a screen lol.

I'm starting to wonder if the locking pin issue is related to my steering column adjuster not locking in between the low and high position.

• Like 1

Definitely lol, it's been weird to say the least.

The wheel tilt mechanism gave me that sort of problem on my old pathfinder too, if you move the lever one way it let's it move all the way up so you can get out (I don't know why that's a feature bit it is) but if you push the lever the other direction it will sort of lock it in place. If you push the lever that same direction you can sort of adjust where the wheel sits in relation to its angle and height. Sometimes taking the column cover off and spraying the parts with pb blaster will free it all up.

I'm not sure if you've taken your column cover off lately but when you do you'll see what I mean, if you move the lever both directions you'll see a small arm move. I think it's also connected to the spring too?

Anyways check on that, hopefully nothing is broken there. It's probably just grease that's stiffened up.

Oh and I can't remember which direction it is but I think moving the lever up is for small adjustments and down is to let the wheel move all the way up or down. But be careful since that spring is pretty strong when everything is lubricated properly

• Like 1

I've had the bottom half with the metal weight in it fall on my face a few times working under the dash! It hurts! But it was my fault for not taking both half off before hand. Why take off both half when you can get to everything from the top right? Some days I think my brain stays in bed a few extra hours in the morning lol

• 1 month later...