Engine Removal How? VG33E 1999.5 R50 4x4

danoconnell427

I'm trying to replace the motor in my 1999.5 Pathfinder R50 auto 4x4 however it is proving increasingly difficult for one main reason... seams to be no access to remove the 4 bolts holding the torque converter to the flex plate while the motor and box is still in the vehicle, is this correct?

The workshop manual appears to suggest pulling the motor and auto transmission out together however I only want to remove the engine, due to the original engine throwing a rod out the sump. How do you get the damn thing out without damaging the transmission in the process? or is it not possible to remove the engine separate to the auto transmission?

Pictures HERE: http://imgur.com/a/AAV0k (took them this morning)

None of my tools were working to fit in that space, I'll try again and remove that gusset, I actually removed the gusset from the other side but any access was blocked by that thin plate between the engine and transmission, had a feeling it would be the same story on the starter motor side.

• 4 years later...

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead but i have an original post if im able to remove the engine with the transmission still attached. In my service manual it just states to drop the transmission first. Surely, there aren't different nissan manuals floating around.