What fan controller do you use?

RCWD21

I plan on swapping in a 3.8 taurus fan soon and would like some opinions on what controllers everyone uses.

I've looked at ddc, derale, ron francis, hayden, flex-a-lite, just about every single one you can think of.

I'm looking for something that's not going to break the bank but is going to work all the time everytime so to speak.

I think I need to go with a relay based system since most of the pwm controllers are only 30/40 amps max and the taurus fan pulls atleast 75 during start up. DDC makes one specifically designed to run the taurus fan but it's $180ish and from reading on forums customer service is a bit sketchy.

A temp probe that screws in is fine, or even the probe stuck between the upper hose and radiator neck is fine too, I'm just not sure what to get that's going to last for me.

I'm not exactly sure what all I need to get in conjunction with the controller besides the fan, relays, and appropriate sized wires and connectors so any input there would be helpful as well.

Also any schematics and pics of your installs would be appreciated :)

Sent from inside my potato

After going back through my bookmarks on my phone I finally found the one I couldn't remember the model of.

It's a Digital Dakota product. It's model PAC-2750 and another member on here used the 2700 model with great success, only downside to his write up is that the pics are down and I could use some help with which wire he branched off of on the back of the cluster for the gauge signal from the sensor. I can't find a schematic for the 87 orange cluster :/

For this controller and an extra 70 amp relay it's around $160 which I'm comfortable with so once I get everything else I need I'll be posting a current write up with the new model with a link to the write up that lead me to the PAC-2750 from Dakota Digital.

I would still like to hear from everyone though and see pics of setups. New or old. From the cheap haydens to the crazily expensive ones.

I'm stuck between the dakota digital PAC-2750 ($160ish with extra relay..) and the DCC SP2 controller ($~90).

The DCC unit is supposed to be perfectly designed for the taurus fan but the weak point in the design that I see is that if a relay or something goes bad, I have to send it in to have it repaired. Where as the PAC-2750 I can just order a replacement 70amp relay and swap them out.

I've read great reviews on the dakota digital model and questionable reviews on the DDC model but most of it was fairly old and mostly about the customer service side of it.

Dakota digital has an 18 month warranty.

DCC has a 90 day warranty.

I'm tempted to go the the DCC model but at the same time I like the fact that the dakota digital has a temp reading on the unit itself.

Does anyone have any experience with the DC CONTROL (DCC units)?

Edited by RCWD21