xj bumper on qx4

1badqx4

hey there everyone so i read online somewhere that the jeep xj bumpers will fit the r50. i know its about an inch narrower per side,i was wondering if anyone here has done this and what all was involved with the mounting points.i can get a built stinger winch bumper for a great price but the mount brackets are welded to the bumper so its all one piece.do the xj holes line up to the r50? or do i cut and re drill? thank you everyone.

I currently run a smittybilt XJ bumper.

The mount locations differ enough to create a good amount of fab work needed to get it on the truck in the first place. Our R50 mounts are wider than the XJ. I had to make custom mounts that use the OEM loactions and tow hook mounts. there are a few other crucial issues that need to be dealt with as well.

The wiper fluid, coolant reservoirs and air intake cavity are exposed/unprotected. I switched to a universal coolant reservoir, made a custom washer fluid reservoir but have yet to mount it and removed the air intake cavity in anticipation of a snorkle.

The XJ bumpers also leave the lower portion of the radiator support and a AC line exposed. This is the most critical short coming of using a XJ bumper, in my opinion. In an accident any protection thats designed into the bumper is useless as the truck would suffer damage to the lower half of the frame. Doubly so if you have a SFD or lift.

After all the work I put into fitting mine, I'll be going a different route. Ive chalked it up to R&D and I do not recommend the XJ units for the R50's unless you have time to re-design and modify it

Edited by TowndawgR50

Thanks .so which way should I go.i was thinking the smittybyilt xj because of cost I get them for $180 through work.1000$ is way out of my budget for a bumper.i could fab up some lower protection

Its really up to you. The XJ units can definitely be made to work. If you have the time and motivation anything it possible with a grinder and welder.

I chose not to pursue the XJ bumper because I felt it would require more time and effort than I wanted to invest to make it the way I'd envisioned and functional at the same time.

I would suggest you lengthen the corners outward and rearward to match bodylines and cover the reservoirs as well as run supports and plating to the lower portion of the radiator support for protection.

This all depends on what XJ bumper you go with as well. These are my recommendations for the particular smittybilt xj bumper I went with. Other manufacturers may have something better suited to our trucks.

thank you. i appreciate your help. also who really makes a heavy duty spring kit? i have 2 inche spacers at the moment. rear "meduim duty" springs from 4x4parts that sag

Nothing HD available for the rear, as far as i know. Folks seem to like the AC springs. I run OME with airlift load helpers. I tow regularly with my rig and the tounge weight required a little belp so the airlift bags were perfect. I run with them inflated 24/7 becuase the ride is so much better but deflate for wheeling.

I bought them through my local off road shop and have found very little information online about them, but from what I understand Old Man Emu part #2610 is heavy duty coils for the rear of an R50. This website: (http://truckprousa.com/i-24087239-old-man-emu-by-arb-coil-spring-2610.html) uses the term "Heavy Load".

Thanks for the info everyone. im starting my own bumper build.going to add limb risers as well. Does anoyone make a snorkel for our trucks? also those who have rock slider did you weld them on or bolt them? i know we have a unibody style i dont know hoe that would work please help so i can start fabing some up. enjoy your day everyone.

Likewise. i was begining to think i was alone.finding out there are a few of us from the bay. i smell a wheeling/camping trip this winter if you guys are into that,i usually go up and do a shaver run in mid-late january.