R50 half door build

Well I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this so admin feel free to move it.

I grabbed some spare doors for $75 and figured I'd chop them up and make some half doors. Some unfortunate events resulted in only 3 doors so I had to pick up the 4th door (really the 5th) from a junkyard. I accidentally melted one of the door latch assemblies as well and picked one up.

Anyway I'll try and let the photos do most of the talking.

• Like 1

I started out by doing a little research found a 4runner with a similar setup that I wanted.

received_10206848381989624_zpshygcz5bj.j

I then began hacking away, I left the speaker mount intact

20160720_182932_zpscs0tjj5x.jpg

I then welded on a back plate and cut that to match the front.

20160720_204528_zpskoczamu4.jpg

I then built a little frame for some support some of it is pictured here. I also bent the latch rod and decided to put the handle on the top.

20160723_120731_zpsoe2cpshu.jpg

Decided to go another route but I initially made a door for my door and welded nuts on the back. I decided I am going to make door panels now.

20160728_181357_zpsrt7xey4f.jpg

Almost done with the front!

20160723_153911_zpsfgqiqibd.jpg

• Like 2

And with all four on the vehicle, will hopefully be done with the body work and paint this weekend. I will also get closer shots of the cup holders and door latches!

Thank you. I think it's very hit and miss whether people like them or think they are dumb. I will say it was much more work than I initially thought it would be.

Thank you. I think it's very hit and miss whether people like them or think they are dumb. I will say it was much more work than I initially thought it would be.

It's not for everyone, but I like it! I always wanted to get a set of half or tube doors for my Jeep, seeing how easy it was removing the doors in general. It's a bit more complicated on a Pathfinder, though, but you've got the right idea...good job! Considering any coverings, like maybe some thick clear vinyl and snap-clips/Velcro/magnets?

Yes I have been thinking of something I dont know which route to go yet. I get a rain proof cover but I think that is getting returned. I dont need a lot of protection I just dont want it to down pour on the interior. I am working on quick release hinges and quick release for the front wiring. The rear doors only take a couple minutes to swap but the fronts take a very long time. I started the body work last night too and painfully bought the paint

Thank you. Yes my brother went to school for autobody so that will help. They are really beat up though so I told him to do some quick body work and call it good. I always under estimate the amount of time and money it takes to paint something.

• 2 weeks later...

The body work is done and the doors are primed. Its possible that I get them painted this weekend if my brothers in town. I will then begin mocking up vinyl windows and quick disconnects for the electrical and hinges

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hmmm, my jury is still out on this mod...nice work though... I personally think it's a LOT of work for a minimal sight line advantage, but each to their own. Good luck w/the fin.

• 1 year later...