Temperature Guage Rises when Idle but fine when driving

joserabagojr

I've seen multiple posts online about this problem about: "Temperature Guage Rises when Idle but fine when driving", but most of the those posts involve having 2-3 separate fans where we R50 Pathys have only one.

On to the point, my temperature guage has been rising up to H recently while the car is on idle on the road. But once I start driving for a good minute, the guage goes back to the original 9:00 face.

Background: The radiator mounting has been re-built under the radiator (since rust) and radiator has been flushed and refilled with new Coolant. & Fan Turns on Normally.

Anyone can help a brother out?

Thanks,

Jose

I am guessing that you need to replace the fan clutch. It's not tightening up and forcing enough air through the radiator. At speed, air moving through the radiator naturally keeps it cool.

To test that the fan clutch is no longer working, run the engine up to operating temp. Shut off the engine and try to rotate the fan by hand. If it spins freely more than 1/4 turn, the fan clutch is dead.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1997,pathfinder,3.3l+v6,1212051,cooling+system,radiator+fan+clutch,6812

• Like 1

air in the system can cause hotter than normal temps also. Did you bleed the air out when coolant was replaced? Make sure to have the heat on when doing so , so the coolant flows through the whole system.

But sounds like fan clutch is bad.

I am guessing that you need to replace the fan clutch. It's not tightening up and forcing enough air through the radiator. At speed, air moving through the radiator naturally keeps it cool.

To test that the fan clutch is no longer working, run the engine up to operating temp. Shut off the engine and try to rotate the fan by hand. If it spins freely more than 1/4 turn, the fan clutch is dead.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1997,pathfinder,3.3l+v6,1212051,cooling+system,radiator+fan+clutch,6812

how easy is it to replace? I've been having the same issue. so Following your test method mine spins freely with the engine off. which one would you recommend from rock auto? looked at a similar product from a Canadian parts distributor and they want over $200 for the bloody thing...check this out.

http://www.autopartsway.ca/partlist.cfm?nissan/2000/pathfinder/se/3.3l-v6/allb/cooling/cooling-fan,-clutch-and-motor/engine-cooling-fan-clutch

talk about northern gouging.

how easy is it to replace? I've been having the same issue. so Following your test method mine spins freely with the engine off.

It may spin freely on a cold engine. If it spins freely on warmed-up engine that's just been shut off, then then it's due for a replacement.

The fan is attached to the clutch, which in turn is bolted to the water pump. Remove 4 10mm nuts holding the clutch to the water pump, then pull the fan and clutch assembly out of the engine bay.

Remove the fan from the old clutch, then attach it to the new clutch. Reinstall the fan and clutch assembly onto the water pump, and you're done.

*Note: this was the process I used on my VG33. The procedure may be slightly different on the VQ35, wherein it may be necessary to remove the fan shroud in order to get clearance to remove the fan/clutch assembly.

Edited by XPLORx4