1993 Pathfinders?

Guest Jeremy102579

Guest Jeremy102579

I am looking at a 93 Pathfinder. It is the SE model, which i believe is Sport Edition, correct?

It is an automatic Transmission, 97,000 miles asking $2800 or best offer.

I am going to go look at it tonight. The lady said it has a problem with the Air Conditioning. Not a big issue for me since i am not a big AC person.

What are the goods and bads about the 1993 Models?

What were problems for this year?

How are the Automatic Transmissions in these?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

JR

Guest Jeremy102579

i may be blind but i dont see anything abou the trannys in that article....i read in another post that the auto trannys are weak? is this true?

Everthing I can gather about the auto's shows that they do just fine provided you have a healthy tranny cooler hooked up.

Other than that they're your typical auto.

Anyone who knows more feel free to correct me!

That seems right to me. My auto on my 1990 is original and still shifts fine and it has 253,000 miles on it. It had the original cooler on it until I installed an aftermarket Hayden cooler and bypassed the stock cooler last summer. The only reason I did that was for peace of mind. I'm sure that since the tranny had not failed by then, that the stock cooler was doing its job sufficiently.

My recommendation is to bypass the original cooler and install an aftermarket tranny cooler if you buy an older 1990-95 Pathfinder with automatic transmission. It is a wise $40 investment.

Guest Jeremy102579

well after hearing about these auto trannys, i think i am gonna cancel my appt. tongiht and keep looking

hey Ive gotta 93, bought it with about 80k miles, it now has 156k on it. I havent had any tranny problems, I towed a trailer full of my moms whole apartment from Ft worth to Little Rock (about 400 miles) around a year ago and had no problem and Im still using the original tranny cooler. If its in good condition otherwise Id jump on that, thats pretty low miles for that year, ask when the last time the timing belt was changed, should be aroun every 60k miles,

also the only thing that has failed on it since Ive had it is the starter and the fuel filter, both inexpensive repairs

Edited by headpeace

Guest Jeremy102579

thanks people.....any way i can check out the tranny while i am there...what can i look for???

any other info is great, keep it coming.

Guest Jeremy102579

manifold bolts, where?

cv boots are the rubber things at the bottom of suspension, correct?

boots yes, look under the front tires, its the part that goes directly to the center of the rim, there will be a rubber cone shaped thing thats like striated, thats the boot, theres also one, if you follow that rod one the other end where it connects to the drivetrain? anyway there are upper and lower cv boots, check em out

i dont know about tranny other to drive it and check the fluid to see what it looks like, if it looks burned, manifold bolts, I personally wouldnt worry, its propably 99.0% chance they're shot

throw it into reverse. If it is real sluggish, it may be on its way out. The reverse gear uses a higher oil pressure than the forward gears so it's usually the first to show signs of crapping-out.

Guest Jeremy102579

not an important topic, but how come some pathfinders have the spare tire behind the truck and some have them in the back of the truck?

thanks

jr

will let you all know how it goes tonight.

Guest Jeremy102579

not sure, on autotrader, i see 93 S.E.'s with them on the back and inside, must be an option?

manifold bolts, where?

:blink: They are on each side of the motor..probably under heat shields. Sometimes you can peek down there and see whether any are broken.

If you look at the valve cover..then just below it should be a shield and the exhaust manifold is just under the shield.

Best to just ask the owners if they had them changed through Nissan...

a lot of the guys are driving with them broke.. I just pulled my motor and did the work and put aftermarket headers on..and after that work and a good exhaust system.. I gained 5mpg!!!!!! And my Pathy has more power and is happier. (and she rumbles now) It generally comes down to personal preference, and how much $$ and time you have to do the work.

I have to smog my Pathy..and she wouldn't have passed the test... besides all the gains I got were sooooooo worth it! -bounce- good luck!