Spare tire carrier

JimArm

This may be a "well, duh" post but worthwhile if it applies to your rig.

I bought my '92 XE new and have swung the spare tire and its carrier open and closed exactly 3,292 times.

Each time it has opened and closed just a little tiny bit harder than the time before. I checked the places it might be adjusted probably 14 years ago.

I think the weight is best shared between the hinges, the latch and the support in between.

Today, rather than try to adjust away its increasing stiffness, I got down where I could get a good look inside the latch mechanism.

I oiled the shaft ends, then greased (with a Q-tip and lithium chassis grease), every part I could reach, paying special attention to places that showed wear and/or were shiny, maybe ten surfaces.

After a thin coating and some opening and closing, it works so easily, smoothly and quietly it's scary.

Five or ten minutes to a like-new assembly.

Post if it works for you,

Jim Armstrong

Potter Valley

I did that to mine but I used brake cleaner to clean all the surfaces first. I ended up loading it with fluid film. But damn does it ever glide in nice even with a 33" tire on it.

There's a topic about this if you do a search. There's a couple of holes top and bottom on the inside of the metal tube near the hinges. You are meant to squeeze or spray grease into these holes until grease comes out of the hinge pivots. I tried on mine but I think they are well crusted up inside. I sprayed my hinges with WD40 and ATF. The thing opens with two fingers and I actually regretted using so much lubricant on it because if you park on the wrong angle it will keep wanting to slam shut unless you use the hinge pin.

I am glad there are folks still enjoying their old Pathfinders.

I did search for posts about the tire carrier latch, the subject of this post, not the hinges.

I would like to read any previous discussion of the maintenence of the latch if someone would post a link.

Hello Jim! I was just at Lake Mendocino 10 days ago, but haven't been to lake Pillsbury for years. Sunset campground is nice, but I used to stay at Oak Flats a lot. Beautiful country you have up there!

As for lubricating the hinges, I used Lucas stabilizing oil on the pivots years ago, and like Terranovation, if I'm not careful, it'll either swing wide open and hit the stops hard or come back and hit me hard, depending on the tilt. Glad you got it worked out though.

I can't recall any thread on the latch (not like I remember every thread), but it should be pretty simple to work out. IIRC it just bolts on and is removed as an assembly if you wanted to soak it in something. Otherwise it is just that handle attached to a shaft with two pivot points and a 2 sided spring. Should be easy enough to lube in place.

B

I am glad there are folks still enjoying their old Pathfinders.

I did search for posts about the tire carrier latch, the subject of this post, not the hinges.

I would like to read any previous discussion of the maintenence of the latch if someone would post a link.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/17227-how-to-lube-your-spare-tire-carrier/

Here you go

Perhaps if I had used the term "catch" instead of "latch" it would have clearer that I was not talking about the hinges.

I could not find any discussion of either in the link above.

Sorry JimArm it was the only thing I can find and like was said just soak it in some lubricant or unbolt it to do the same thing. Always best to take photos of it before you remove it so then you know how it goes back on.