Probably a bad starter, but....

ebayfish

I had a starter go out on my '95. I replaced it with a Beck Arney starter after sitting for a couple weeks. When I went to start it, the battery barely had the power to turn the engine. While in mid crank, the gear stopped turning the flywheel & began to free spin. When I turned the key off the starter was still spinning. I had to pull the negative battery cable to stop it. The battery tested bad & I replaced it, thinking the low voltage wasn't allowing the relay to open. After putting the new battery on, it cranked perfectly. I've started it a couple dozen times since with no problems, but last night it did the exact same thing again. After I pulled the negative, when I went to put the negative terminal back on, it arced repeatedly. After about 2 minutes of waiting, I placed the cable on the terminal with no spark & then it started normally once again. The igition wire dosent seem to be in contact with the hot at the starter. Anybody got any ideas or should I assume there is an issue internally in the starter?

I had a similar problem but your sounds like something is pulling the battery to ground through the starter...IF you have another vehicle you could pull the starter and have it checked at a good auto parts store. I suspect that it's a relay but I am suspicious of most relays to begin with!

The starter relay is right next to the battery, between it and the fuse box.

It can and does go bad, often with strange symptoms.

It is easy and fairly cheap to replace.