Mounting led light in front bumper

Dave.Bert

Hello

I am wanting to mount a LED light in the front bumper as a fog light and need input.

I am looking at either a 12" or 20 inch light for this.

Has anyone mounted a light there and have any suggestions on what size to mount there?

also i am wanting to tie the wiring for the light into the wiring for the OEM fog lights.

Is this ok or will that freak the computer our? Or pull too much power for the system?

Also has anyone installed a LED light bar on the roof of your pathy?

Id like to see how the light bar was mounted as well as how it was wired in.

and last of all WHERE did you get your light ?

Thanks Ya all for the help

i have the same question. im putting 2 fog lights. Factory wiring already there. put a new switch on the column(factory oem from an r50 with fog lights) have the relay also. how should it be wired?

First off I'd see if the bar was designed as a fog light or a driving light and whether it's got the cutoff it needs to be any good in fog. Some of those things throw an amazing amount of light, which is great if you're alone but not great if it's blinding oncoming traffic. I've driven past bro-holes with their LED bars on and it's about as bad as HID high beams in your face.

Second, where you wire it in depends on how strong the stock wiring is and what else is running on it. If you keep your factory fog lights how they are and just piggyback the LEDs off that circuit, you'll probably cook some wires--best to run separate wiring and a relay. Also I think around here you're not supposed to have more than four forward lights on at once, so if you're running headlights, factory fogs, and an LED bar at the same time, check your local laws. (Also check if the bar is even legal, I don't know if they do DOT ratings on those or require them for road use where you live.) If you're nixing the stock lights and hooking up the LEDs instead, look at the wattage on your LED bar vs the wattage on the stock bulbs, if it's the same draw or less it'll be fine.

Finally, how you wire depends on how you intend to use the thing. If it's off-road only, a switch on the dash and a relay should do. If you're running it on the road, I'd hook the + feed for the switch to one of the high beam wires rather than constant +. Run a wire from the high beam, to your switch on the dash, to the relay coil, then ground the other side of the relay. Then run fused + to one relay contact, the other contact to the LED strip, then ground the other wire of the strip. That way you can leave the switch on and the bar will switch on/off automatically with the high beams, no additional switching required. IIRC the factory fogs are set up the same way, only they're switched from low beam instead of high beam. I had the switch circuits for my fog and driving lights on my '95 tied into the high and low beams respectively, and will again on my '93 once I get around to mounting the switches.

• Like 2