92 XE Suddenly Running Rough

JohnMasters

The Injector guy called and said that 5 of the 6 injectors had failed the "inductance" test and the injectors were unreliable and should be replaced. That each metering would produce totally different results and therefor a cleaning would not suffice. :(

You will like it but there is something about the pathfinders that the xterras just don't have. I have both ;)

Ive spent months looking for a clean 1st gen(2 door, 4X4, automatic) Pathfinder and they have gotten hard to find. A dealership up in North GA. has a cherry one but they wont budge off $5900(haha). The last one I bought was in great condition but had an internal problem and was consuming 1 quart of oil every 100 miles so it had to go. I just bought an entire set of injectors and owe the dealership $500 but I have almost 250,000 miles on my '92 and the dreaded frame rot to deal with. I have box welded the frame but towing is NOT an option so took the plunge and purchase this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Nissan-Xterra-/252538669537?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=fFKLYCArNyXyg%252B1KkAjhz4xHh8w%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Any opinions at $4500 + about $500 to get it to Atlanta.

The rust was so bad when I bought it that there was nothing to weld onto as you got closer to the bumper so now, the last 12 inches of the frame as it meets the bumpers is literally swiss cheese. Ill see if I can get a pic. Its pretty amazing actually. 80% or more of that area is rusted away.

I have repaired some pretty bad ones lol. They make kits to fix it now so it is pretty easy. You just slide them on and weld away.

That xterra looks decent. Make sure the timing belt was done on it at some point.

I havnt seen the kits that slide on so I will check that out. I checked with the dealership and the timing belt was replaced at exactly 105,000 on the Xterra so that part is looking good. I should have it in my possession by Friday so I will finally get to compare the two.

FINAL THOUGHTS...

Finally, another successful thread.

My problem was, in fact, one of the injectors.

The injectors were too expensive to purchase new and 5 of my 6 injectors failed the "inductance Test" so they could not been cleaned/fixed and re-installed.

So, I found a junk yard on ebay that were pulling, cleaning & selling injectors sets and with a bit of discounting got the entire set for around $150.

The Pathfinder is now running better than ever and the irony is that I purchased an Xterra, thinking that I would not find the problem on the Pathfinder.

Ive gone from NO truck to TWO and I have not only enjoyed researching the Xterra but have come to appreciate my Pathfinder even more.

Is it just me or on Youtube does it seem difficult to find a 1st gen Pathfinder getting stuck in the mud, yet in almost every Xterra video someone is getting stuck. Is the Pathfinder that superior or are the people driving the Xterras that inferior. haha

Heres a good one...

ADAMZAN...

After about 4 days with the Xterra I would agree for the most part.

Pathfinder Pros... 4-wheel disk brakes, Independent rear suspension, longer wheel base, Rear seats hinged instead of removable, Opening rear glass, dash clock, More intuitive(smother) transmission

Xterra Pros - Supercharger, Power Windows, Sunroof, roof rack, factory alarm, Tow package

The Xterra is a bit more "floaty" feeling and feels a bit more truck like than the Pathfinder and its body, panels & Bumpers are more loosely constructed.

The Pathfinder was obviously build during a time when they wanted to ADD functionality for the owner and the Xterra was made during a time when they were trying to REMOVE those same features in order to reduce price and increase sales.

Of the two, the Pathfinder does appear to be the more special of the two.

The thing here is that I have ended up with what is probably one of the cleanest '02 SC Xterras in the country. This thing is cherry as hell, 10 years newer with 130,000 miles less than my rusted out Pathfinder.

I currently have three cars insured and one is a 1990 RX7 Convertible with a newly rebuilt rotary engine so that ones not going anywhere but I will probably need to sell one of the trucks and I will probably end up keeping the one that I can keep in excellent condition with low milage for the next 10 years which will be the Xterra.

I definitely prefer the NPORA forum.

Edited by JohnMasters

FINAL THOUGHTS...

Finally, another successful thread.

My problem was, in fact, one of the injectors.

The injectors were too expensive to purchase new and 5 of my 6 injectors failed the "inductance Test" so they could not been cleaned/fixed and re-installed.

So, I found a junk yard on ebay that were pulling, cleaning & selling injectors sets and with a bit of discounting got the entire set for around $150.

The Pathfinder is now running better than ever and the irony is that I purchased an Xterra, thinking that I would not find the problem on the Pathfinder.

Ive gone from NO truck to TWO and I have not only enjoyed researching the Xterra but have come to appreciate my Pathfinder even more.

Is it just me or on Youtube does it seem difficult to find a 1st gen Pathfinder getting stuck in the mud, yet in almost every Xterra video someone is getting stuck. Is the Pathfinder that superior or are the people driving the Xterras that inferior. haha

Heres a good one...

I know with my 1995 XE Pathfinder She has impressed me like no other before getting my first 1995 XE Pathfinder I was steering away from getting one. I am glad something made me change my mind & now on my second 1995 XE Pathfinder. Which both have gone places & through some pretty extreme conditions that a lot of people having only stock with the exception of tires would probably not have attempted to go yet I did without any problems at all. They both proved to be climbing machines & looking forward to being able to Mod my current one once all other areas have been addressed & see what else she can do!

NICE!!

I have been on the lookout for another truck for a while and purchased another very clean 92 SE model last year for $1000. It would have been a great deal if the owner had revealed that it was using(not burning) a quart of oil every 120 miles or so. I couldnt figure the problem out so it got sold. :((