transmission kickdown solenoid

My pathy wont downshift at highway speeds. the transmission kicks out of overdrive and out of gear altogether. we found an electrical connection right by the fuel filter that had been severed by the previous owner and rigged back together, that had pulled loose. the wires are in fact for the solenoid 3 of them. black white and red without the factory terminal. the coresponding connector has different color coding for the harness. my question is if someone can snap a pic of that connection, so i can correctly splice the wires back together. its on a mount with 3 terminals attached to the wheel well, right above the fuel filter.

Perhaps you are looking for the wrong thing. The red black white wires are your o2 sensor.

The rest of what you need is on AT-36. You're looking for the inhibitor switch harness Ana the solenoid harness along with temp harness at the bottom.

Back to the issue. I have a 90 pathy with a 91 tranny that was installed by the previous owner. There are 3 wires black, white and red that are not an o2 sensor, they go to the tail end of the transmission on top of it, they are easily followed to the transmission connector which controls the kickdown solenoid, just above the fuel filter. When the previous owner installed it, he did not use the factory connector but crimp on splices simply pushed onto the male terminals of the wiring harness. That connector has black white and black with white stripes. The connector and butchered solenoid wires were taped together but has come loose. My manual does not even show the wiring at all and I cannot find any info online as to the correct pin out.

Symptoms of I'm in overdrive and try to accelerate, the transmission spools out of gear and basically into neutral if I turn off overdrive same thing happens. All other speeds it will downshift correctly, so I know it's only involving overdrive kickdown. It truly sucks, going down the highway at 65 and have to slow down to 55 to go faster.

That would make sense as the revolution sensor is on the top of the trans.

Best bet is to hit up a junkyard and see if you can rob that connector off of another one. Make sure to get enough wire so you can solder the two together. Year won't matter as even the newer r50 and Xterra have the same transmission.

FWIW the o2 sensor has 2 black and 1 white wire, or the other way around, but there is no red wire in the o2 harness.

Edited by adamzan
  • Like 1