Sputtering and acts like its bogging out when gas is pressed

Dannyg

have a stock 93 pathfinder SE. Havent had really any problems and than it started to have issues when driving it would bog a little like its not getting gas or my first assumption was a misfire. So i changed the spark plugs. Wires and cap and rotor. I had someone tell me to unplug the o2 sensor and if it runs fine theres my problem but i did and still had the sputtering issue.

One key clue i think is after sitting all night long. When i first start to drive it. It runs alright and wont sputter. And after driving for say 15 20 minutes it starts to sputter all the time as if im running low on gas or something. Im hoping someone can help correctly indentify the issue.

Check engine light doesn't come on.

The fuel filter was the next thing i was going to replace. Only reason i am thunking it may not be that is cause its first time driving for the day it runs fine and has acceleration for only about 15 minutes of running.

Will update when i actually do change the fuel filter to confirm if that was it or not. Thank you

So i replaced the fuel filter. Wasnt that. I did research and got the morse code for the ECU and i got a code for a knock sensor.

You said thst you already unplugged the o2 sensor and it wasn't the issue.

Yea but im illiterate to motors so i wasnt completely sure if it was an effective way to find out if that was the issue haha

So i checked my MAF and i also saw someone pull the maf sensor plug and the motor didnt die to see if it was bad or not and i did the same to my pathy and it died so im assuming its good. So sadly i am thinking its the knock sensor but i also have still yet to get confirmation that my symptoms are exactly what a bad knock sensor would do.

If i drive it often through the day the sputter gets worse and worse but has still yet to leave me stranded thank god lol

• 2 weeks later...

We're the plugs black when you changed them? Does it smell like it's running rich or chugging black/ very dark smoke out the tail pipe?

If so make sure your coolant temp sensor has a good connection or if it's the original replace it and carefully inspect the connector for it, they can become very brittle due to age and heat. When they go bad they can cause weird issues like this.

I had '90 240sx that had one go bad and it initially caused a lean problem and then it went super rich where the car would barely start and I could only drive maybe 15 to 20 mph wide open.

To find the sensor I'm talking about follow your upper radiator hose towards the engine, once you reach the metal pipe there are two sensors on the right side of it facing the driver side. One has one spade connector on it. That's for your temp gauge in the cab. The other has, I believe a yellow, 2 wire connector with a metal retainer clip. That is the sensor you're after. They range anywhere from $15 to $25 depending on where you go.

If there is a bad connection there your ecu won't be getting a proper signal so it won't know what temp your engine is actually at so it will cause the ecu to either deliver more or less fuel depending on what it sees.

Also these rigs aren't too picky about the knock sensors, which are a PITA to replace since they're under the lower intake manifold on the back side of the engine attached to the block. My 90 pathfinder that I used to have had a bad knock sensor and it didn't affect anything that I noticed except for throwing a code for it.

Edited by RCWD21

• 3 weeks later...

This happened to my Z24 when the engine was just newly started and still cold. Even how fast or slow I floor the gas, the engine just bogs down straight dead. This happened for days, then someone noticed oil leaks. I just found out that the engine oil level is really low. I added temporarily added oil and it fixed the issue.

I hope this helps.