cars ac dosent cool the compartment

qxx4

Those pressure numbers sound about right for the ambiant temps. I would suggest washing out the condenser and radiator fins too, but I have seen pictures of your truck so a dirty condenser is not a likely issue. 

With the window tint, here in Utah, legal limits are 43% +/- 3% for the front side windows, dark as you want behind the front doors provided you have mirrors on both sides, and only a strip along the top 6" of the windshield. With that information, I wound up doing a 50% on my front doors and 35% on the rear doors and hatch glass. I went with a 3M ceramic tint with a high IR rejection in bronze to match the factory tint on my rear windows ( my Pathfinder is an Intermountain SE). It has made a huge improvement in my truck. I had the compressor fail years ago and the tint has managed to keep the temperature down enough that I have been able to survive. Someday I will get caught up enough to fix my AC, but at this point it is a want rather than a need. Too many needs to be addressed still. 

Edited by Mr_Reverse
Stupid auto correct
  • Like 1

If you had the 3M ceramic tint installed, do you mind saying what it cost? I've been meaning to look into this and haven't gotten around to it.

I don't want to install it myself though. I put solar blocking tint on some of my home windows, and wanted to claw my eyeballs out while trying to get it on not wrinkled or scratched. I wasted more than half of it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't do the install myself, I can't even put a screen protector on without having problems. 

I had the tinting done at a local shop back in 2011 and want to think it was about $300 and supposed to have a lifetime warranty. I need to find the paperwork on it since the left rear door window is bubbled now. I had the windows and clearbra done on the 2010 Altima I had at the time, and that one I think came out at about $500 I think. 

The ceramic is supposed to have pretty good heat rejection. Most of the good manufacturers have data regarding that spec on their different product lines.

As for heat, AC & AZ. When I lived in PHX ~2003-4, I never had any real issues with the AC. I can remember being in stop & go traffic around Anthem at 116*F & no discomfort. The truck was pretty new then so likely the AC was working at max efficiency. I don’t really remember being uncomfortable except if I was running short errands (opening the doors repeatedly) or occasionally in the Monsoon season (heat down ~100* but humidity up). It also helped that the truck sat under cover at home - in a parking garage, so at ambient temp but none of that direct radiant heat while stopped. AZ DOT says it’s as high as 140* within a foot of the tarmac & your body can lose a gallon of water in 30”.

You guys that live in extreme heat areas, have you ever considered a water spray system? People put them on race cars to speed up cool downs between runs.

They make kits but they’re expensive. It’d be easier— well much cheaper, to grab a window washer reservoir with pumps and put it in the back somewhere or where ever you have room and run lines to a couple atomizers (like this: https://www.mcmaster.com/#3178K41).

You’d have to make sure to spray just enough water to promote evaporative cooling. Too much and you’d actually insulate the condenser since aluminum is a MUCH better conductor than water.

I’d be willing to bet it’d make a colossal difference.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:15 AM, onespiritbrain said:

22deg is a world of difference. 50-60degF vent temps at idle (35-50degF at speed) with outside temps around 90degF is about the best I’ve ever seen.

An electric fan has made a big difference at idle. I never see temps above the mid 40’s and it’s more often than not in the mid 30’s. The low powered blower is the weak point now..

Thanks for the response.  How did you install the electric fan?   I like how your vent temps improved at low speed/idle.  Did you leave the mechanical fan and clutch installed?  I have the same issue with my daughters pathfinder.  New compressor and near perfect charge.  On 94-104 days here it doesn't like to work well at idle or in traffic.  I'm thinking of installing a electric fan mounted on the outside of the condenser that engages when I turn the AC on.  Easy to do with a relay tied into the compressor hot wire.  I will leave the mechanical fan installed. 

It’s like being in a different vehicle after the electric fan install. I haven’t been uncomfortable (temperature wise) since. Very highly recommended upgrade.

I do think that a smaller and much lower powered fan will likely do the same for poor AC performance if placed on the condenser.

I was experiencing borderline overheating issues at idle with the AC on so I went for a complete replacement. I selected an early 90’s Volvo 950 electric fan based on this guide:

https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/volvo_electric_fan.shtml

I no longer see coolant temps above 215degF in any situation. Again, it’s like a different vehicle.

I used all the components in that guide. In addition I used two off the shelf automotive relays to automatically kick the fan into high speed when the AC clutch is pulled in.

Here is the wiring diagram:

tinyurl.com/y2b9sgh6

• 6 months later...

It’s safe to say your compressor might need to be replaced. I had this problem with my QX4. It would blow cool, but not cool enough to ever take it off full blast. I live in Texas so I know allllll about the heat. You car AC should absolutely cool it down even at 105 outside. I purchased a compressor kit for like 400 bucks. Ice cold. However, I recommend spending the money on the good ones because I’ve already had this compressor replaced 3 times under warranty. They work great for a few weeks and then start knocking real bad. (Yes, the system was flushed thoroughly) Last 2 times, I had a shop do it because it’s a huuuuge pain in the ass to do, at least on the 02 QX4. That and dark tint! Shoot!