cars ac dosent cool the compartment

qxx4

hey guys new to the forums i have a problem my pathys compartment would never cool down although the ac is cold but if you dont direct the vents on you, you would feel like their is no ac.

what can the problem be?

has anybody ever fitted ac to the rear seats?

• Like 1

I'd start by checking the pressures in the A/C system, it might just need more gas. If the pressures are good, compressor cycles like it should, but it's not blowing cold, maybe there's something not working right under the dash. Hopefully it's something simple, Dubai with no A/C does not sound like fun.

• Like 1

I face a similar problem, but I think it's just the nature of the truck (insulation wise) and not any mechanical problem. Weather here this time of year is in the 110°-120°F (43-49°C) and I find that my truck just can't keep up cooling the interior, but it blows nice cold air just fine. When it's closer to 100°, it's more efficient of course. The difference is "hot" vs. "damn hot" in my case. Doesn't look like Dubai is too far off from those numbers.

• Like 1

Not to hijack the thread but, hawaiirish, is there an AZ Npora group that meets regularly? I live in Goodyear just off the 303 by the way.

Not that I know of, though there are several N4W'ers in the metro, and an event is coming up. I'm just north of you, Cactus/303. Maybe we resurrect the AZ roll-call thread in the Southwest region section?

Usually you can tell the difference when your AC is malfunctioning. It goes from cold, to coolish or nothing. In Dallas when it is 100, it takes about 30 minutes of driving until I'm cool enough to direct the vents away from me.

I'd look into heat reflecting film for your windows like they have for homes.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I dad the same issue (doesn't really cool down inside) after a new compressor and other system parts with full service. Last summer I returned to my mechanic 2-3 times within the first month and he tested the outcoming air - it was within the temperature expected. I have the overhead outside temperature gauge, and the air coming out of the vents was very consistently 30-40 degrees lower than the outside temp at 100+ degrees.

I was told this is normal, and as long as I drive with 3 vents on me I am comfortable in the summer. I do believe my blower motor is beginning to show it's age. I usually run on speed 3 (of 4) with AC and Recirculation.

I have to agree with the others. When the interior is already sun-soaked it takes all cars quite a while to overcome that, plus with my Pathy, I find that when the outside temp is over 95f and the sun is shining, it never quite gets comfortable....but if a cloud obscures the sun, it does quite well then.

I also have the problem that it never cools acceptably unless I'm cruising constant on the highway at higher speeds with good, continuous airflow. A/C is working fine, I've checked the pressures....it's just that a mechanical fan is never enough to cool the condenser in stop and go traffic. I remember my brand new suburban being that way from the day I drove it off the lot.

I'm considering installing an auxiliary electrical pusher fan in front of my condenser to help.

Glad I'm not the only one. My cabin does eventually cool down, but with our summer heat, it's not surprising if my long drives (recently a 2hr drive down to Tucson) require full AC/re-circ the entire drive. Black leather seats probably don't help much either.

Conversely, my wife's Sorento cools down within minutes. Middle row pillar vents, more powerful blower, rear AC, and darker tint. The only thing it lacks is crotch AC. :D

• Like 1

Haha it was nice to see how all of us guys the same problem has anyone ever fitted rear ac ?

P.S i have 50 percent tint

• Like 1

The only vents for the rear are under the front seats. You have to put it on top and floor to get air to the rear.

Tint is your friend. As dark as legal or you can handle for the rear and legal for the front.

*highly illegal, but some places will do a very light 38% or so on the windshield. Not enough to darken, but adds some extra protection.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 7/9/2016 at 10:01 AM, hawairish said:

My cabin does eventually cool down, but with our summer heat, it's not surprising if my long drives (recently a 2hr drive down to Tucson) require full AC/re-circ the entire drive.

@hawairish I see I'm not the only one having issues with the AZ heat. Did you ever do anything (auxiliary fan?), or are you just still suffering with it? I had to drive through stop and go traffic the other day, and the A/C just could not keep up. Everything checks out fine on the system otherwise. FWIW, my much newer 2010 F150 has the same exact issue when it hits about 108-109 here.

When it's getting airflow (highway driving or even 45MPH roads/streets), it's great. It's just the no airflow in stopped traffic that is killer.

Have you checked your radiator fan clutch? I actually removed mine and put in an electric radiator fan. Made a huge difference in AC temp when sitting or going slow.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Heat rejection from *good quality* window tint has a huge effect on AC cooling. Air flow over the condenser at low speeds is another big factor. Our AC setup has the ability to do some serious cooling. I've measured 34degF at full blast with recirculation on. If its not fighting an onslaught from the sun then I bet it'd get chilly in there quickly.

I do notice vent temps rise the instant I start slowing down.. hopefully I can report better performance after my electric radiator fan install.

I'd be interested to hear what someone with high quality tint experiences. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, onespiritbrain said:

Heat rejection from *good quality* window tint has a huge effect on AC cooling. Air flow over the condenser at low speeds is another big factor. Our AC setup has the ability to do some serious cooling. I've measured 34degF at full blast with recirculation on. If its not fighting an onslaught from the sun then I bet it'd get chilly in there quickly.

I planned to get tint regardless. It would help slightly, but even in one of my other well-tinted vehicles, it's still no match for summer AZ sun. On an average summer day, it's nothing for me to measure 160+ degrees inside the cabin of that vehicle.

I know the system is working as designed. The problem is that it just isn't designed to handle the temps we see here in AZ. The majority of my driving is low speed, around town, driving, so it's something I'm very motivated to fix.

Yeah window tint is very much like the optics on a pair of sunglasses. You can get stuff that looks great and performs decently, like a pair of Walmart sunglasses or you can get a pair that look almost identical but they have polarized lenses with multilayer coatings.

Likewise window tint can have all sorts of different properties like high visible light transmission with very low infrared transmission(expensive— “ceramic”), or you can have very low visible light transmission with high infrared(cheap— “limo tint” from Wally World).

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2019 at 10:44 PM, chrisfromthelc said:

I see I'm not the only one having issues with the AZ heat. Did you ever do anything (auxiliary fan?), or are you just still suffering with it?

Way late reply on this.  I had just been dealing with it, though I don't really drive often enough for it to be a problem.

Today, I hooked up some gauges to the system and discovered that both high and low pressures were below spec.  At a little above 100°F ambient today, max AC with recirc was putting out 80°F from the center vent.  Definitely not normal.  I had some cans of r134a laying around, so I thought I'd give recharging a try (never done AC work before).  The FSM specs weren't terribly useful for my environment (high temp, low humidity) and the PSI ranges seemed very wide, and the discharge temps seemed way off, so I tried to determine some middle numbers to shoot for.

Starting from around 25psi low and 210psi high, I pulled pressures up to 45psi and 360psi by adding around 8 ozs of refrigerant (spec. capacity is about 16oz), which produced a vent temp of 58°F...and what a difference that made running some errands today!  The numbers are seemingly within spec now (as best as I can tell for not having numbers for my environment, anyway), but obviously I have some concerns about having to add that much to the system.  For now, it'll have to do because I don't have time to look into it.

• Like 2

22deg is a world of difference. 50-60degF vent temps at idle (35-50degF at speed) with outside temps around 90degF is about the best I’ve ever seen.

An electric fan has made a big difference at idle. I never see temps above the mid 40’s and it’s more often than not in the mid 30’s. The low powered blower is the weak point now..

• Like 1

Hopefully I'll see some numbers like that once the weather cools down a lot in a few months.

An electric fan crosses my mind every now and then, but I don't want to deal with the wiring, temp sensors, and whatnot.  I'm also not sure what to make of the mechanical fan after charging the system up...there was no change in vent temp when idling vs. driving.  Should I have expected a slightly lower temp while driving?  Seems like the fan is doing its job, no?

Vent temps should go down when you are driving steadily above about 35 mph. At that point the rad fan is no longer doing much of the work of pulling air across the condenser, and the RPMs are up for the compressor to be able to circulate the optimal refrigerant.

If they don't go down at all it is very unlikely your rad fan has a problem unless the clutch is too stiff or locked up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk