Timing the KA24DE

djratlif

I know that the pathfinder never saw a KA engine but you guys here are the best I could think of to find help. Recently lost compression in all cylinders on my Frontier. Just shut down one day, no noise, no bang, nothing. I want to check to see if i slipped a tooth on one of the chains but the factory manual says to use paint marks put on during teardown to re-time it. Are there any factory marks to show how to time from scratch or any procedure?

Definitely sounds like it lost timing. I haven't had a KA apart but I'll bet you can check timing without opening it up. The distributor drives off the cam, right? Set the crank to TDC and see if the rotor points anywhere close to #1.

I've already got the valve cover and upper timing cover off of the engine in my truck, and the spare/blown block I took out of it. It seems like the valves are both closed at tdc but want a way to be sure. It seems odd that it would have an issue, its got around 80k on it and I do oil every 2500-3000 miles. Last one was triple that before a rod bearing gave up. I'll check the rotor on the dizzy to see what it shows, I'm kinda baffled at the moment.