Valve Cover Gasket Replace Help 3.5l 2001

My valve cover gaskets are leaking slightly on my 01 4wd PF 3.5l. I have a few questions that I could use some help with before I tackle this job...

1. It looks like this vehicle has 3 plenums? A top one that splits in two - and a lower intake manifold. Correct? It looks like just the top plenum (2 pieces) needs to come off to replace the valve cover gaskets?

2. I understand some spark plug seals are not serviceable - and you have to replace the valve cover if they are leaking. However, my car has the aluminum valve cover - and it looks as though they are available as part of this kit?

6b44ae907cf97d8233de587391b25504.jpg

3. Anything else I should replace while I have the plenum off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Swanicyouth

When you take apart the upper plenum to pull it. Locktite all the power valve screws. While upper intake off, change your PVC valve, which will be easy since it is installed in the valve cover and your removing it anyways. Might as well do your plugs while everything is apart. All I can think off ATM.

1. That's how I understand it. Don't know personally, but will be doing something along these lines too (have all the gaskets already).

2. Yes, the aluminum valve covers have serviceable spark plug seals. That kit also includes the grommets used on the perimeter of the covers.

3. What Rebelord suggested. If you have an MT, there are no power valves. Since you'll also remove the throttle body, may as well replace that gasket, too.

Thanks - it's an auto LE. Will check power valve screws and replace PCV valve.

It almost looks like it's possible to change the valve cover gaskets without removing the intake???

Spark plugs were change about a year ago with Nissan factory spec'ed plugs.

Dunno. FSM is little help on this job.

• 2 years later...
On 6/11/2016 at 10:48 AM, hawairish said:

1. That's how I understand it. Don't know personally, but will be doing something along these lines too (have all the gaskets already).

2. Yes, the aluminum valve covers have serviceable spark plug seals. That kit also includes the grommets used on the perimeter of the covers.

3. What Rebelord suggested. If you have an MT, there are no power valves. Since you'll also remove the throttle body, may as well replace that gasket, too.

Bumping an old thread here. My valve cover gasket is leaking on the passenger side. I was going  to do the power valve screws as well, but I have a manual transmission. Is there seriously no power valves? Or is this too good to be true?

Manual transmissions have no power valves. Do the iacv gasket while you’re at it. Replace the pcv valve and pcv and breather hoses. And I’d replace the water control valve while you have the plenums off too. And probably the etc sensors that are on that water pipe on the back as cheap maintenance 

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 6/11/2016 at 8:32 AM, Swanicyouth said:

My valve cover gaskets are leaking slightly on my 01 4wd PF 3.5l. I have a few questions that I could use some help with before I tackle this job...

1. It looks like this vehicle has 3 plenums? A top one that splits in two - and a lower intake manifold. Correct? It looks like just the top plenum (2 pieces) needs to come off to replace the valve cover gaskets?

2. I understand some spark plug seals are not serviceable - and you have to replace the valve cover if they are leaking. However, my car has the aluminum valve cover - and it looks as though they are available as part of this kit?

6b44ae907cf97d8233de587391b25504.jpg

3. Anything else I should replace while I have the plenum off?

Hey Swanicyouth, sorry to revive an old thread but I’ve been curious myself.  How were you able to tell your valve covers were aluminum?   From what I can tell it doesn’t seem as simple as checking if the exterior is black or not.  It also seems that the 2002s were the last to have aluminum VCs possibly?  Regardless, I love the username.

3 hours ago, cham said:

Hey Swanicyouth, sorry to revive an old thread but I’ve been curious myself.  How were you able to tell your valve covers were aluminum?   From what I can tell it doesn’t seem as simple as checking if the exterior is black or not.  It also seems that the 2002s were the last to have aluminum VCs possibly?  Regardless, I love the username.

Actually, it should be as simple as being black or not. The aluminum covers were unfinished silver; the plastics were black.  Otherwise, give them a tap with screwdriver handle or something...should be clearly audible metal vs. plastic.