Weird clunk after suspension install

Zero

I'm going to try to spin them while they're still under the truck. Not sure if that will work though.

The spring is pressing against it, with the rubber insulator in between, so it'll be tough. But...it might work if you can get the spring compressors on them.

The rentable spring compressors from the auto parts store were insufficient to compress the AC spring when I tried to install them, but do you think it would be enough to keep them compressed so when I jack the truck they would stay compressed?

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

At this point remove them and take em to a proper shop and tell them what you need done.

You could also paint markings on the notch and lower perch inside and just tell them you need the uppers spun to match. Also to make sure they loosen the strut nut to spin it.

A wall mounted compressor is best for safety here. AC springs have and enormous amount of rate. Very deadly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I just lifted my Path over the weekend and had the same problem. It stumped me but today I finally saw the sway bar link physically move. The diameter of the hole is slightly bigger than the link giving it some play if you don't tighten all the way. Cranked that boy down and it was gone. The sound seems like so much more is going on but that's all it was.

Hey all, for what it's worth, I recently serviced my struts and after I reassembled them, I noticed a popping sound coming from the left strut.

I suspected that I had not tightened the swaybar links enough, but after having a friend listen for the source of the popping while I pushed up and down on the bumper, we found that the source of the popping sound came from the top of the strut. Apparently during reassembly, I had not fully tightened the 17mm nut on the top of the strut, allowing the strut rod to wiggle up and down slightly on the mount.

This was hard to diagnose because the strut nut is concealed by a dust boot. Even with the dust boot removed, the nut was not so loose that you could see movement during suspension cycling, but it was just loose enough to cause a slight clunk.

Sooo, check the tightness of the strut nuts and crank 'em down if they're loose.

This!! I had that on mine. Couldn't figure it out until the strut fell out lol

b9ed89c2477f73aea44296726dc81e41.jpg

I figured out what most of it was. My end links are fine but I had a ball joint loose and a bad wheel hub. I tightened the ball joint and replaced and repacked the hub. It's better now. Theres still a clunk from the front that I have discovered as coming from the steering junction box. I need to replace that baby.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Hmm, I was considering doing my lift myself but your & Rebelord's comments regarding the AC springs makes me reconsider. Especially as I'm a newbie at suspension work & would be doing it myself!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk