Belt squeal at acceleration

I have an 88 Path SEV6. It has belt squeal at hard acceleration or high rev at idle. My AC doesn't work and the belt isn't hooked up. What would be causing this? The belts seem to be tight. Any ideas ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My power steering pump shaft had a lot of play, so the pulley would go sideways under load and the belt would squeal. If you loosen the belt try pushing the pulley back and forth. It shouldn't have much play, like maybe .020"

I think a bushing went out in mine, i just swapped pumps out though.

Edited by PathyAndTheJets

What kind of shape are the belts in? Any cracking/glazing?

A friend of mine had an annoying chirp on his Blazer that ended up being that the P/S pulley was driven onto the shaft just a little too far, so it wasn't lined up quite right with the other pulleys. That one took a while to figure out.

Got to looking at it today and noticed the power steering pump would move some when I pressed on belt. I tightened up the bolt on the right side of the pump behind the pulley. It stopped the play but not the squeal. The belts seem ok guess it wouldn't hurt to change them. Cost not being much

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You could always try taking it off entirely, then have a good look for cracks along the whole length of it, both inside and out. If there's a few tiny spilts in the rubber you can probably get away with it but if you have big spilts in the rubber then yeah, get a new one. Remember after installing to check the tension on it after a few days of being driven, they have a tendency to loosen up a bit with wearing in.

Also another thing to check is the big pulley wheel on the power steering pump that the belt goes on. Look behind that and spray some lubricant behind that pulley, or a few drops of ATF fluid works too. I had an annoying whining from that area but it's gone now.