Ticking coming from an 02 VQ35DE ... done my research, help please!

starbai

Hey there everyone, so I picked up a 2WD 2002 Pathfinder LE last week, 131k original miles. Its a pretty nice SUV all around but my biggest concern is a loud ticking coming from the engine. I hear it most up top, but I also hear it quite a bit from the passenger wheel well. The ticking is constant, doesn't matter if the engine is cool, warm, running at idle and when revved the ticking gets faster.

So I'm reading a number of things, the one that stands out most to me is the problem is quite possibly the valve lifters. As such, I have tried the following:

1. Drained all the oil and ran ATF in it for a few minutes at idle to see if that would make a difference, it didn't.

2. After this, I of course changed the oil with Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w30 and added a little sea foam in it... but no fix here either.

So at this stage I'm thinking my only option is to replace the valve lifters. The problem is the FSM is very vague on this. I can't figure out how many new lifters I need. I have seen people argue over whether or not the VQ35DE even has hydraulic lifters.

1. So first question is, does anyone know of a good DIY write up, or has anyone done the lifters on the 02 Pathfinder's VQ35DE that can walk me through this/answer some questions for me?

2. Primarily when I look through the FSM it talks about a shim type Valve lifter, and a shimless type. I think I have a shimless type since the FSM says shimless was produced since August 2001, and my SUV is a 2002. But can anyone help me figure this out definitively?

3. How many lifters are there?

4. Are any special tools needed to remove the old/install the new?

5. What is the likelihood that its something else and not the lifters, or a combination of other things? What else should I check?

Spending the money and putting the time/work into replacing the lifters and it not being the issue.

I really want to enjoy this SUV and I don't mind giving it the TLC it needs, but I'm not in the habit of throwing money at the problems. I need help diagnosing and if it is the lifters, help beyond the one page or so of the FSM with exactly what to order to do the job and some guidance on how to do it.

Here are two videos to show you guys the sound:

Video 1 This was the night I picked it up:

Video 2 This is after running some ATF before doing a full oil change, as you can see no improvement:

Get your self an automotive stethoscope. Or a really long solid rod of sorts. Metal.

While the engine is running place it around different areas of the valve covers timing covers etc. Listen for where it's the loudest. If your using a long rod or extension hold with a fist and put your ear to it to hear.

It's also very easy to remove the cover to inspect your timing chain tensioner. 3.5 is notorious for it coming apart which causes the chain to slap and ride on the metal part of the tensioner instead.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hate to say it, but sounds very similar to the "knocking" I had when my 02 VQ hit 140k miles. I ended up needing to replace the motor.

Does it change with engine load or just RPM? If it changes with load it's likely a bottom end issue and you can isolate the problem cylinder by disabling it and removing the load (unplug coil packs one at a time)

• 1 month later...

Well guys thank you for the suggestions. Here are a few more observations.

The sound is so loud it's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from.

1. The engine doesn't appear to be burning any oil. I've got a small leak from the rear main seal and so I check it often and the level is very good and remains consistent even with the leak.

2. The sound gets faster not louder but faster when revving the engine.

3. To the best of my knowledge there isn't any loss of power that I can tell.

4. The sound resembles the ticking you get from a diesel engine while driving around.

5. I do have a SES for the right front catalytic converter. I'm considering replacing it but trying to tackle the ticking first.

6. I took the cover off the timing chain tensioner and it looks like it's providing a good tension but I cannot get my fingers on the chain to feel if it's loose but either way the guides could be chewed up even if it's got decent tension at 132k miles.

7. I bought the stethoscope as per your suggestions. Poking around the sound seems to be loudest around the valve covers but I'm not sure if that ticking could just be the injectors. I didn't poke around under the truck just the front timing chain cover and the two valve covers.

I've got an 02 built in 3/02 does anyone know if I've got the shim less type valve lifters or no?

I've tried the ATF trick to try and clean up the lifters but it did not get any better so I'm not sure its the lifters. Anyway I'm willing to do the work but does anyone have any other suggestions on how to pin point this? I just picked this thing up and I really like driving it but this ticking is driving me mad. Not to mention I'm scared to take it any kind of long distance for fear of it taking a total crap on me.

Well guys thank you for the suggestions. Here are a few more observations.

The sound is so loud it's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from.

1. The engine doesn't appear to be burning any oil. I've got a small leak from the rear main seal and so I check it often and the level is very good and remains consistent even with the leak.

2. The sound gets faster not louder but faster when revving the engine.

3. To the best of my knowledge there isn't any loss of power that I can tell.

4. The sound resembles the ticking you get from a diesel engine while driving around.

5. I do have a SES for the right front catalytic converter. I'm considering replacing it but trying to tackle the ticking first.

6. I took the cover off the timing chain tensioner and it looks like it's providing a good tension but I cannot get my fingers on the chain to feel if it's loose but either way the guides could be chewed up even if it's got decent tension at 132k miles.

7. I bought the stethoscope as per your suggestions. Poking around the sound seems to be loudest around the valve covers but I'm not sure if that ticking could just be the injectors. I didn't poke around under the truck just the front timing chain cover and the two valve covers.

I've got an 02 built in 3/02 does anyone know if I've got the shim less type valve lifters or no?

I've tried the ATF trick to try and clean up the lifters but it did not get any better so I'm not sure its the lifters. Anyway I'm willing to do the work but does anyone have any other suggestions on how to pin point this? I just picked this thing up and I really like driving it but this ticking is driving me mad. Not to mention I'm scared to take it any kind of long distance for fear of it taking a total crap on me.

Injectors, I think could be a possibility, but how would I test them? I've ran a few fuel treatments through the system opening it'd clean em' up.

Injectors, I think could be a possibility, but how would I test them? I've ran a few fuel treatments through the system opening it'd clean em' up.

I'm not a technician or anything, so I was just throwing out possible avenues to look into. Try reading some of the links here: https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=testing+fuel+injectors&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Is it possible for an injector to be running fine but still tick? I dont have any SES codes relating to the injectors and the truck doesn't sputter or anything it runs perfectly... its just this sound I can't figure out.

Can you record the sound? The 2 vg30's I've owned both ticked from the injectors but had zero issues from them. It wasnt terribly loud but noticeable.

Edit: you did record it... I need to pay more attention....

Edited by Remus92

It almost sounds like the exhaust manifold leaking (diesel-esc sound) with injectors ticking as well.

As mentioned above definitely check the timing chain tensioner. Even regardless of what the sound ends up being.

It sounds like a bad lifter. If it is bad, no amount of ATF will clean it up. That usually only works for old sludged up tickers...

I would take the valve covers off and inspect. There is a way to tell by pressing on them if they are bad. I have never done it but I have seen it done before.

I have an 03/2002 build date... I know that sometime in 02 they changed the lifter type... does anyone know if I have the type that can be fixed with shims?

Anyone else know how to test by pressing on the lifters? I'm trying to learn how to do that but having trouble finding info on that method. I'll open it up this weekend but need to know what to do once I'm in there.