Blue smoke at startup-how long do I have?

01 pathfinder-160k miles, of which the past 40k have been very hard miles.

Noticed the other day when it starts after sitting for a few hours it is blowing blue smoke out the exhaust. I know this means internal engine problems/excessive wear, I'm just wondering how long you guys think I have before this thing is on its last leg? Crystal balls welcome....

Thanks

Sounds like piston rings need replacing...or valve seals...anything that might leak oil into combustion chamber...doesn't mean engine is done just needs some love

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue smoke on start? Valve guide seals.

Piston rings would smoke all the time along with a whole bunch of other issues

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I second this... 160k is fairly low for this motor, replace the seals and she should take car of you for many more years to come.

Yes the Valve Stem seals, while not "hard" to replace, there is a lot of things to take off. You could try some high mileage oil to see if it reduces it a bit. Otherwise nothing will fix it other than replacing them.

There's a way to tell if they are the intake or exhaust seals by when the smoke occurs (I think it's intake when blue on strong acceleration and exhaust if smoke when you let off the pedal) but, since you'll be in there, may as well do them all.

Thanks for the replies. To be perfectly honest I don't see myself fixing it, mainly just wondering how long before it becomes a debilitating issue. I'll try some high mileage oil next change. So far I only notice it when I start it after it has been sitting a few hours. Odd thing is I haven't seen it after it sits all night, but it could just be because it is early am and dark out.

Thanks for the replies. To be perfectly honest I don't see myself fixing it, mainly just wondering how long before it becomes a debilitating issue. I'll try some high mileage oil next change. So far I only notice it when I start it after it has been sitting a few hours. Odd thing is I haven't seen it after it sits all night, but it could just be because it is early am and dark out.

Threes no real way to tell how long it'll last. Honestly, you should give it a try. A decent head gasket kit will come with the seals you need. You mind as well change the timing belt too. 150 bucks and a solid weekend of work will save you thousands of dollars.

There's a guy on youtube that posted a bunch of videos on the process... just throwing it out there.

No timing belt on this one. My long term plan is to join the dark side with a jku Willys, but if I can keep this thing tickin for the next year or so it would help considerably.

I said crystal balls welcome! Lol.

Honestly, I would fix it. If it doesn't last the year you want it to, then what? I'd prefer to be safe then sorry. Plus, it will resell for a lot more if it's not (at least not as obviously) on its last legs.

Honestly, I would fix it. If it doesn't last the year you want it to, then what? I'd prefer to be safe then sorry. Plus, it will resell for a lot more if it's not (at least not as obviously) on its last legs.

Exactly! You'd be looking at scrap value if you didn't fix it and that's around 300 bucks. If you were in the NW I'd just buy it from you and fix it myself.

Even if you wanted to switch to a different truck, you'd have no money to put towards it. Instead, fix it, sell it for 4k and get whatever truck you want. The repairs at a shop would be well over 1500 bucks (at least in Oregon).