DRAGON64's 1996 Pathfinder

This is my first Foreign car ever, and as such I went with the R50 Pathfinder (SE 4X4). That introduction can be found here for historical reference:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/41865-going-to-look-at-96-this-evening/

Images from the original night I cedided to buy the car...

20160502_190501_zps26s0ksou.jpg

20160502_190439_zpselebmusz.jpg

This not going to be too much of a build thread, as it is a rework thread. For a car that has 224,000+ miles on it, it drives out exceptionally nice, and everything functions as it should. Yet there are some items that will require immediate attention. More on that as I go throught this process. My end game is to have a vehicle I can go overland and on moderately insane trails... no rock crawling for me. I want to see more of the land than just what can be viewed from the black top highway.

* New tires utilizing the stock SE rim. Will probably stay with the stock size at first. Cooper Discoverer is where I am aiming.

* Replace window deflectors

* Add front skid plate (4X4 Parts)

* Usual maitenance (oil & filter, air fliter, fuel filter etc)

* Unsure on lift (?)

* Struts & shocks look to be original equipment...

* Roof basket (if only to get the spare tire out from the rear of the car...

Aside from the maintenace, the first item that I decided to tackle was the after market window defelctors. While driving, two of the deflectors would flap in the wind. Upon closer inspection the deflectors were also cracked in a couple places, dry-rotted from age I suppose... I figured the adhesive would release pretty easy, like most adhesive tapes do over time...

Negative! and to make matters worse, the deflectors were stuck directly to the window seals... I suppose in an attempt to "save the paint"

Three of the seals looked like this...

IMG_9024_zpsfwhmdmxn.jpg

IMG_9025_zps2ucudkqu.jpg

IMG_9023_zpsncmpkhfb.jpg

New window seals were looking to run somewhere north of $300, so I went with the AVS option and paid $47 for replacement Auto Vent Shades from Amazon...

IMG_9027_zpsgz941rby.jpg

It turned out real nice for what it is; a functional cover up...

IMG_9029_zpsemdoeddi.jpg

I'm going out now to see what awaits me with the skid plate install...

A 31" spare will fit under the rear. Tight, but it fits. GL with the skid. AC just weighs to much to hassle with IMO. Fluery's is where its at.

Quick setup for lift? Just throw on some Fluery's spacers. Otherwise, the ARB Old Man Emu setup.

• Like 1

I am still reading up on lift experiences from those that have done it... Seems 2" is the norm, without significant changes to wheel alignment brought on by stressed front end components etc. I sure do not wish to burn off my new tires. I tend to browse the thread regarding tire to lift scenarios, trying to decide just what direction I might wish to go.

So the next item I added to my new Pathfider was a skid plate. Since the factory plastic splash guard was missing, all-but the frame that is, then the decision to add an after market skid was obvious. I went with the 3/16" thick steel plate from 4x4parts.com. The 45lbs "beast of burden" I was warned against this purchase, and at the same time it was recommended that I change my order to the Fluery's 1/8 inch Aluminum plate... too late, as when I inquired wiuth 4x4parts,com about ending my order, their reply was a tracking number for my new plate... so I decided to deal with my decision. Here is the new plate prior to install...

IMG_9030_zpsvex0udzh.jpg

...and this is all that remained of the factory splash guard set-up, just the frame...

IMG_9034_zpsdi66xmep.jpg

Removal of the factory parts revealed an new challenge; I have discovered that I will need to replace the rack-n-pinion unit due to torn boots and a slightly leaking unit. I need to replace the struts as well, so looks like a full front end R&R may be in order while I am at it... this will also be a good time to decide on what, if any lift I might wish to add...

IMG_9031_zpsieqt2exy.jpg

IMG_9032_zps8l1mdiiv.jpg

What fun, looks like the Pathfinder and I are going to get well acquainted with one another... The frame holes on the factory parts matched up with the 4x4parts skid, so installation was pretty straight forward...

IMG_9035_zps5pyfkjis.jpg

I imagine at factory hsights, holding 45ibs with your weak arm, whilst trying to thread the new 10mm bolts will never be any easier... albeit a strength draining process, the plate mounted very nicely in place.

IMG_9036_zpsirfc7cfi.jpg

IMG_9037_zpsif8zrhdk.jpg

The tires were going to be up next, but I may need to wait till I get the funds built up for the much needed suspension work...

• Like 1

Just so you know, my aluminium plate is 1/4"... not 1/8...

Cheers.

Plus is just as strong if not stronger.

I ran into a cypress stump with it doing about 15mph. Stopped the truck. Scared the bejezus outta me. Didn't even scratch the powder coat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nice looking Pathfinder! They sure do look good in black. I'm about to get Fleury's lift, so I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks, I not real used to black yet, as it isone of those colors that show imperfections from a mile away. Looking forward to reading your thread on your Fleury's lift.

Just so you know, my aluminium plate is 1/4"... not 1/8...

Cheers.

Noted, typo and mis-info on my part.

Plus is just as strong if not stronger.

I ran into a cypress stump with it doing about 15mph. Stopped the truck. Scared the bejezus outta me. Didn't even scratch the powder coat.

More lift!

• Like 1

Yeah, that's my biggest problem with black. It's either gotta be squeaky clean or muddy, and I don't like to leave mud for too long!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Some like the badging, some don't... me, I like badging, even if it was not original to the car. I picked up this little badge from flea-bay ($11 + free ship), and will get it added after this weekends car wash...

IMG_9039_zpsgd38kgdj.jpg

I believe this is original to a Fronty, so the text block size is slightly larger than that used for the `96 Patherfinder SE... but it will still look nice on the tail's lower right corner.

I just ordered my tires from Amazon, these are the 265/70R15 Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires:

http://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Discoverer-Traction-Radial-Tire/dp/B00MXNS2DE

I will get one of the local tire centers to install them for me next weekend...

Looking at getting struts and shocks next... my `96 is bottoming out on the current legs of my suspension, which I suspect is original equipment from 224,000+ miles ago...

Let us know what you think of them. I need to get tires somewhat soon and those are on the list to consider.

Are you going to go for taller springs at the same time? Or just shocks and struts keeping stock height?

When I do the swap, I will most definitely go with new springs in the front, but I am undecided on whether to stay the factory height or move her on up.

Dealing with a new issue this afternoon... when the clutch is fully depressed, as to start the engine, the relays 'click' but the engine does not turn over... I detest 'no-start' electrical problems... well, truth be said, I hate any electrical problem, but I have a sore spot for electrical issues that leave me stranded in a store parking lot. I got one more start out of the vehicle to get her home, but now nothing!! Ideas on where to look next? The starter operation seemed nomional until now, nothing out of the ordinary prior to...

Download the FSM from the garage section. Follow it.

It'll have you checked fuses and relays. Also. Check your battery connection for corrosion and loose

• Like 1

Thanks for the manual recommends. They helped me determine the issue... the rubber pad on the clutch pedal disintegrated, so there is no engagement with the clucth interlock switch. The image grab from the manual will help show the issue...

The red arrow points to the rubber pad, which is missing from my clutch pedal. I found rubber chucks on the floor board as well.

Clutch%20Pad_zps2ylmoif1.jpg

Feeling good about the little steps of progress made, I mounted the new badging... Nissan should have done this in the begining (but that is just me...)

IMG_9042_zpsjxoaolpu.jpg

• Like 1

So I have about $255 to burn, do I get a mod like the WARN hubs, or work on getting some original equipment items replaced, like the OE shocks and struts...?

It depends on the condition of your original parts. If the shocks and struts need replacing, then I say do that. If you're just looking for a way to spend money on the truck, I would get upgraded things such as the Warn hubs.

• Like 1

Yeah, I know... but I get that 'go-fever' that I just want to get modified now!!! I will probably start with struts, as the front struts seem to be bottoming when I hit a bump or pothole... and I only hit the holes I cannot miss!

So the struts are available as a cartridge unit, with the springs and bearings (if re-useable) being transfered from the unit being replaced. @ 224,000mi what should I expect to replace with regards to the struts? Everything?

Don't get the cartridge ones. Will not work.

Lots have luck with the KYB. I run the Gabriel Ultra struts myself. From Autozone, register them there with your phone number for lifetime warranty.

• Like 1

Thank you Rebelord, I have been looking long and hard at the Gabriel assemblies, to just R&R what I have... that way I could get new springs, and not have to mess with the spring compressor.