Moving To New Servers!
Members interested in helping test the new NPORA server platform, please contact RedPath88 via PM or email for further information.

Thank you,
-NPORA

Photo

mjotrainbrain's Build Thread

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Bax03SE

Bax03SE

NPORA Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Local time: 05:01 AM
  • Model:SE
  • Year:2003

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:36 PM

Where is the rust exactly? In the door opening or is it coming out from under the flares? Mine had rust under both rear flares, but luckily it hadnt spread to be visible beyond the flare when I caught it. Since its hidden behind the flares, I just cut out the rusted areas and rebuilt it with fiberglass, then coated everything under the flares with bedliner. I pulled the flares off to check it a year after and it still looked good. Depending on how bad your rust is, fiberglass patching may be something to consider instead of welding. Just a thought.

#162 OFFLINE   mjotrainbrain

mjotrainbrain

CV boot torn again?!?

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Local time: 12:01 AM
  • Model:Other/Unknown
  • Year:2002

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

Where is the rust exactly? In the door opening or is it coming out from under the flares? Mine had rust under both rear flares, but luckily it hadnt spread to be visible beyond the flare when I caught it. Since its hidden behind the flares, I just cut out the rusted areas and rebuilt it with fiberglass, then coated everything under the flares with bedliner. I pulled the flares off to check it a year after and it still looked good. Depending on how bad your rust is, fiberglass patching may be something to consider instead of welding. Just a thought.

It's only on the rear left.  The hole is hidden behind the flare, but the damage extends beyond that.  I'll consider than option depending on what needs to happen for the stuff outside the flares; if it needs a whole new panel anyways then I'll just do all of it that way.

#163 OFFLINE   mjotrainbrain

mjotrainbrain

CV boot torn again?!?

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:25 PM

Found an old Instagram post I made showing the damage.

https://www.instagra...y=mjotrainbrain

#164 OFFLINE   Bax03SE

Bax03SE

NPORA Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:26 PM

Yeah, seeing the Instagram I agree its beyond patching with a little fiberglass. Still fixable for sure, but to do it right you need to cut and weld in replacement panels like you said.

#165 OFFLINE   mjotrainbrain

mjotrainbrain

CV boot torn again?!?

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:34 PM

Yeah, seeing the Instagram I agree its beyond patching with a little fiberglass. Still fixable for sure, but to do it right you need to cut and weld in replacement panels like you said.

Thanks for responding, I've never worked with fiberglass so the confirmation is appreciated.  I guess I know what I need to do now.

#166 OFFLINE   Bax03SE

Bax03SE

NPORA Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for responding, I've never worked with fiberglass so the confirmation is appreciated.  I guess I know what I need to do now.

641d2f1bb9d38666fb23e72561c89c80.jpg

Looks like you can get a lower quarter section with dog leg pretty reasonably at least. A good body shop can cut and splice that section in pretty easily, but you’ll want to get on it before it gets much worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Bax03SE, 16 October 2017 - 06:15 PM.

#167 OFFLINE   mjotrainbrain

mjotrainbrain

CV boot torn again?!?

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:28 PM

That's not bad.  I'll have to get quotes, might even see if the fab guy who did my bumper would be willing to do the work.  I can always get it painted later, just so I can use the money towards more rust repair before winter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to NPORA Forums

Please REGISTER to gain full access to the forum.

Make sure you read the Forum Guidelines and don't forget to post a new intro in the New People Start Here! section, to say hi too everyone.

-NPORA