Moving To New Servers!
Members interested in helping test the new NPORA server platform, please contact RedPath88 via PM or email for further information.

Thank you,
-NPORA

Photo

mjotrainbrain's Build Thread

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   01Pathmaker

01Pathmaker

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Local time: 02:33 PM
  • Model:SE
  • Year:2001.5

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:07 PM

Thanks! I'm mainly looking for the extra width of the tires, for better flotation, as I spend a lot of time on the beach from April thru October. I'm currently running the metric equivalent to 31's and it does well, but I know first hand how much difference even an inch makes (insert the old "that's what she said" joke). When I went from 285/70's to 295/70's on my Titan, I rarely even needed to engage the 4wd on the beach, after airing down. Looking forward to seeing pics of the mounting points of your bumper. Only thing that I'd change on your rig, I'd get rid of the factory crossbars and mount the roof basket right to the tracks (Food for thought).

Edited by 01Pathmaker, 05 May 2017 - 04:11 PM.

#122 OFFLINE   mjotrainbrain

mjotrainbrain

NPORA Old-Timer

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Model:Other/Unknown
  • Year:2002

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:39 AM

Only thing that I'd change on your rig, I'd get rid of the factory crossbars and mount the roof basket right to the tracks (Food for thought).

Well then, wait until you see what I did yesterday!   :happy: Looks so much better, and now it's sturdy enough that I feel comfortable putting my spare up there, haha.  Still need to upload those pics, got busy with school/exams.  I'll find time this weekend.

#123 OFFLINE   mjotrainbrain

mjotrainbrain

NPORA Old-Timer

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:39 AM

Once again, it's been a long time since I last updated this thread.   :blush02:  I'll try to keep on top of it better in the future (I hope).

On with the update:

There's been two major changes since the last update; a winch has been added to the bumper and lots of new front-end stuff has been added.  The winch was won in a raffle at the 2nd Annual West Michigan Jeep and 4x4 Fest.  If you can, come out next year, it was an amazing event supporting a great cause (veterans)!  The winch is a 9500# Rough Country model with steel cable.  I would have preferred a Warn with synthetic cable, but I can't complain when it only cost a few tickets!  My front suspension was already suffering pretty bad, and this extra weight pretty much put it out of its misery.  I promptly threw away three weeks worth of pay (the joys of having no expenses other than my truck coupled with a low-paying fast food job  :laugh: , I'll enjoy it while I can) to buy KYB struts (and associated components), OME HD coils, wheel bearings, and a pair of new CV axles.  No update is complete without pictures, so here ya go!

Pile of parts:

IMG_20170708_015543.jpg

All disassembled (more than I've ever seen it before)!

IMG_20170706_202819.jpg

Funny how my dad and I have gotten so used to (and quick at) tearing the front end of this thing apart.  Hopefully this is the last time for a while though! This was the first job we did with a new tool, a cordless impact.  Why didn't we buy one of these things years ago?!?   :excl: ADVICE :excl:  If you don't have an impact, go buy one!!  Honestly a lifesaver, especially when it's 90 degrees and you'd rather not be laying in the dirt fighting bolts.

All back together!

IMG_20170708_165627.jpg

And the one we've all been waiting for, the finished product!   :wub:  Can't wait to go get it all dirty.

IMG_20170708_175006.jpg

Over the last few days I've noticed a huge improvement in ride quality.  This probably goes without saying, but ARB/OME really knows their stuff!  So what's next for the rig?  I'm not really sure yet.  There's a couple of smaller things I'd like to solve like figure out my evap leak (going to start by replacing the gas cap) and bleed the coolant in the hopes that it will solve my heat issue.  After that I'd like to finally get around to putting some skidplates and rock sliders on this thing.  On another note, while I had the front end apart I noticed two small holes (one on each side) through the wheel well into the engine bay.  It did not looks like the hazardous strut tower rust issue, just a result of 15 years in Michigan.  Is it possible to buy replacement wells?  Even if it is it's probably far outside my price range to have the work done so I'll probably be forced to ignore it, but I'd feel a lot better if I at least looked into it a bit.

Thanks for reading, more stuff coming soon!  (Like pics from a recent trail ride with another NPORA member.)

Edited by mjotrainbrain, 11 July 2017 - 11:41 AM.

#124 OFFLINE   mjotrainbrain

mjotrainbrain

NPORA Old-Timer

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:44 AM

Oh yeah, and I've been beginning to plan/take measurements for a set of drawers on the floor of the trunk (eventual goal is to go overlanding once a couple of my friends get going on their rigs), so if anybody has pics of their setup I'd love to see it!

Also, for anybody who's interested, my current suspension setup is:

Front: OME HD coils and 1" spacer from sfcreation.

Rear: OME MD coils and 2" spacer from sfcreation.

Current rake is just under 2 inches; a little more than I like, but it's fine considering how often I use it to haul stuff around.

#125 OFFLINE   onespiritbrain

onespiritbrain

NPORA Fulltime Resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Model:LE
  • Year:1999

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:52 PM

Dude yours looks awesome. That winch completes the bumper perfectly! I am excited to get a roof rack and bumper! Good job man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#126 OFFLINE   TowndawgR50

TowndawgR50

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Local time: 11:33 AM
  • Year:2001

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:29 PM

Nice, thats an awesome raffle prize. Time to get dirty and test it out!
I really like my KYB/OME combo too. Good on and offroad. What shocks are you running in the rear?

#127 OFFLINE   mjotrainbrain

mjotrainbrain

NPORA Old-Timer

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:28 PM

Dude yours looks awesome. That winch completes the bumper perfectly! I am excited to get a roof rack and bumper! Good job man

Thanks man!  I agree, the winch finishes it off really well.  Only other exterior mod I'm going to be doing any time soon might be lights, so I have to decide if I want them on the bumper or roofrack.  Can't wait to see yours with the rack and bumper!  Will you be building around your winch, or starting from scratch?

#128 OFFLINE   mjotrainbrain

mjotrainbrain

NPORA Old-Timer

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:30 PM

Nice, thats an awesome raffle prize. Time to get dirty and test it out!
I really like my KYB/OME combo too. Good on and offroad. What shocks are you running in the rear?

That's what I thought, best prize ever!  Hopefully getting it dirty soon, but I'll see.  Might be renting a Jeep (going to Silver Lake dunes, don't want to wreck my new wheel bearings quite yet).  I'm a big fan of the KYB/OME combo so far, amazing ride quality, can't wait to see how they do offroad.  I'm most interested to see how they do at speed on a corrugated dirt road though.  Rear shocks are currently stock...yeah.  I need to change that.

#129 OFFLINE   onespiritbrain

onespiritbrain

NPORA Fulltime Resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Year:1999

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:54 AM

Thanks man!  I agree, the winch finishes it off really well.  Only other exterior mod I'm going to be doing any time soon might be lights, so I have to decide if I want them on the bumper or roofrack.  Can't wait to see yours with the rack and bumper!  Will you be building around your winch, or starting from scratch?

I will probably start from scratch since the current winch mounting is where I will need to mount the bumper.

#130 OFFLINE   jjonez

jjonez

NPORA Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:05 PM

Nice lookin Q!  I currently have the same spacers as my only lift (except 2" all around), and after about 10 months or so I noticed the front has definitely come down a lot.  I went from slight lean to definite rake, so  I'm thinking of doing a similar set up to yours.  OME HD/MD as part of a full suspension overhaul, but then include just 1" of spacers all around rather than 1" front, 2" rear like yours.  Based on the experience with your rig do you think I could expect to keep just a little bit of rake?

Also, are you using camber bolts for alignment?  I currently have some on, but I'd like to use the stock bolts when I do the overhaul if possible.

Thanks!

Edited by jjonez, 15 July 2017 - 10:09 PM.

#131 OFFLINE   mjotrainbrain

mjotrainbrain

NPORA Old-Timer

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:01 AM

Nice lookin Q!  I currently have the same spacers as my only lift (except 2" all around), and after about 10 months or so I noticed the front has definitely come down a lot.  I went from slight lean to definite rake, so  I'm thinking of doing a similar set up to yours.  OME HD/MD as part of a full suspension overhaul, but then include just 1" of spacers all around rather than 1" front, 2" rear like yours.  Based on the experience with your rig do you think I could expect to keep just a little bit of rake?

Also, are you using camber bolts for alignment?  I currently have some on, but I'd like to use the stock bolts when I do the overhaul if possible.

Thanks!

First of all, thank you!  I think if you had 1" spacers front and rear it would be a lot more level but would still have some rake.  I'm considering doing that, but I'll wait until all the heavy stuff in the rear is finished to decide.  I am using camber bolts.  You'll still need them because it will still be higher than stock; camber can occur due to spacers or coils, it's only negated by a full subframe drop.

#132 OFFLINE   jjonez

jjonez

NPORA Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:45 PM

First of all, thank you!  I think if you had 1" spacers front and rear it would be a lot more level but would still have some rake.  I'm considering doing that, but I'll wait until all the heavy stuff in the rear is finished to decide.  I am using camber bolts.  You'll still need them because it will still be higher than stock; camber can occur due to spacers or coils, it's only negated by a full subframe drop.

Awesome thanks for the info.  Can't wait to get going on this.  How's the handling with your new suspension?  I'm hoping fresh heavier-duty springs and shocks will limit some of the body roll and sloppiness I'm feeling with my 145k mile OG parts.

#133 OFFLINE   mjotrainbrain

mjotrainbrain

NPORA Old-Timer

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:56 AM

Awesome thanks for the info.  Can't wait to get going on this.  How's the handling with your new suspension?  I'm hoping fresh heavier-duty springs and shocks will limit some of the body roll and sloppiness I'm feeling with my 145k mile OG parts.

It definitely feels much more stable, especially with the wider stance from my wheels.  Obviously still have to slow down a lot around corners, but you can't feel it leaning as much if you take it too fast.  I haven't replaced my rear shocks yet so the rear end feels a little light.

#134 OFFLINE   RainGoat

RainGoat

NPORA Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:43 PM

Enjoyed reading through your build. I think it may have inspired me to go ahead and try and do my suspension work myself!!

#135 OFFLINE   mjotrainbrain

mjotrainbrain

NPORA Old-Timer

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:26 AM

Enjoyed reading through your build. I think it may have inspired me to go ahead and try and do my suspension work myself!!

Thank you very much! The suspension goes much easier if you have somebody helping.

#136 OFFLINE   RainGoat

RainGoat

NPORA Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:29 PM

Unfortunately, I probably won't.

#137 OFFLINE   mjotrainbrain

mjotrainbrain

NPORA Old-Timer

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:22 PM

Still doable, but just won't go as easily or quickly.  Don't plan on having to drive it for a few days I'd say.

#138 OFFLINE   RainGoat

RainGoat

NPORA Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:56 PM

It's not my daily driver so that's doable. Given work & kids it will likely take me a week or two to cobble together the time-unless I wait until the rains start, then it will take forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to NPORA Forums

Please REGISTER to gain full access to the forum.

Make sure you read the Forum Guidelines and don't forget to post a new intro in the New People Start Here! section, to say hi too everyone.

-NPORA