mjotrainbrain's Build Thread

5 hours ago, RedPath88 said:

Well as you can see from my sig I have no problem with yota's. But anyday in which we loose a fellow Pathitarian (? :unsure:) is a bad day for sure. ?

Yup, I noticed you were a Toyota person too.  Hopefully I'll have a Pathfinder again one day, I'll always keep an eye out for sweet deals on Craigslist!

And yeah, I think Pathitarian is a legitimate term!  :D

Sad to see this awesome rig go, but hopefully it finds a good home. I kinda felt the same way about my 96, but when offered almost twice what I had into it (including purchase price), I couldn't justify turning that down! I'm sure I'll still "see you around"! Enjoy your new adventure!

P.S. - if possible, can you snap a pic of your CV angle? I'm possibly going a very similar route on my 01 soon.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, 01Pathmaker said:

Sad to see this awesome rig go, but hopefully it finds a good home. I kinda felt the same way about my 96, but when offered almost twice what I had into it (including purchase price), I couldn't justify turning that down! I'm sure I'll still "see you around"! Enjoy your new adventure!

P.S. - if possible, can you snap a pic of your CV angle? I'm possibly going a very similar route on my 01 soon.

Well when ya get a deal like that, you can't say no!  I can absolutely grab a pic.

• Thanks 1

That Toyota V8 is sooooooo nice, no more struggling to keep up with traffic! My wife has a GX470 which is the same thing as the V8 4Runner and it is amazing. You made a very good choice.

My next vehicle will be a 97 or earlier Land Cruiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, onespiritbrain said:

That Toyota V8 is sooooooo nice, no more struggling to keep up with traffic! My wife has a GX470 which is the same thing as the V8 4Runner and it is amazing. You made a very good choice.

My next vehicle will be a 97 or earlier Land Cruiser.

I thought I was in good hands power-wise with the 3.5L in my QX4, but this V8 is a beast!  Same horsepower but 60 more torque, and you can feel it.  Better fuel economy too.  That being said, only one power socket up front and the center console is just a giant hole...no bueno.  The seat is also far too low for my liking, the R50 seat is at a nice height in my opinion.  Ah well, other than those things (which I'll find a solution for the storage and I'll get used to the seating), the platform seems extremely excellent, can't wait until sometime next year when I can start modifying it!!

• Like 1

Well, it's gone!  ?

Sad to see it go, but it needed to happen.  It was a great almost two years (exactly 2 years and 9 months actually).  Time to move on.  Hopefully I'll have another one day.  I did warn the buyers that if you use AC when it's really hot like today then engine gets hot, so let's just hope they actually listen and don't use it on the drive home.

By the way, I've got a pic of that CV angle, I'll put it up when I get a chance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Well, it's gone!  
Sad to see it go, but it needed to happen.  It was a great almost two years (exactly 2 years and 9 months actually).  Time to move on.  Hopefully I'll have another one day.  I did warn the buyers that if you use AC when it's really hot like today then engine gets hot, so let's just hope they actually listen and don't use it on the drive home.
By the way, I've got a pic of that CV angle, I'll put it up when I get a chance.

Glad you made the sale! I hope there is a forum like this one for your new vehicle. If you find one let me know. I haven’t looked for one yet for my Toyota so I’d be very interested to know.

• Like 2

Glad you made the sale! I hope there is a forum like this one for your new vehicle. If you find one let me know. I haven’t looked for one yet for my Toyota so I’d be very interested to know.

T4R.org is probably the best. It’s massive in size. With time you learn to whom to listen but there’s a lot more “Bro” culture you have to sift through. I follow 4 vehicles & NPORA is definitely the best! BTW, I’m RainGoat on T4R as well.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, onespiritbrain said:

4 hours ago, RainGoat said:

T4R.org is probably the best. It’s massive in size. With time you learn to whom to listen but there’s a lot more “Bro” culture you have to sift through. I follow 4 vehicles & NPORA is definitely the best! BTW, I’m RainGoat on T4R as well.

Yup, I love T4R.org, it's the one I've found to be best so far.  And yeah, unfortunately there is a lot of "bro" culture and a lot more threads to read to keep up, however I tend to skip the stupid content and only read the real stuff, then it's manageable.  And I couldn't agree more, NPORA blows pretty much every other car forum out of the water.

I'm Saturn over on Yotatech too. Great site, tons of technical info and less of the bro stuff, but they're a bit like Pirate4x4 with the whole "get on my level" "you don't have solid axles the side of telephone poles? What are you even doing here" type stuff. Still a great community.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Saturn said:

I'm Saturn over on Yotatech too. Great site, tons of technical info and less of the bro stuff, but they're a bit like Pirate4x4 with the whole "get on my level" "you don't have solid axles the side of telephone poles? What are you even doing here" type stuff. Still a great community.

I haven't really checked that forum out yet.  I like technical stuff, so I'll have to.

Oh dude Yotatech is like THE quintessential toyota 4x4 forum, it's crazy how big and active it is.

Good to know, I’ll take a look too, though I despise that old school machismo cr@9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2018 at 5:45 PM, 01Pathmaker said:

T5kAKrmh.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I figured I should leave a trail to my current vehicle for anybody who's interested, here's the link to the build thread for my 4Runner:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/258887-mjotrainbrains-build-thread.html

It needs to be caught up as I've done the timing belt and some other stuff since the last update, and once I get a little rust sorted out it'll be time for the actually interesting stuff.  If you want more of a day-to-day update you can of course check out my Instagram @mjotrainbrain and if you prefer a video format you can check out my YouTube channel mjotrainbrain616, but no promises of regular posting there.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I probably could have updated this sooner, but here's the update on my old QX4. It's now 100% guaranteed that I'll never get it back, pretty sure it's scrapped. I saw it pop up for sale a few times over the spring, with the price slowly decreasing. Eventually I began to see listings on Facebook for it being parted out, and now all signs of it are gone. It kinda sucks, but it seems appropriate. The unibody held up the whole time from what I understand, but I can't imagine the strut towers had very many more miles in them.

From the final for sale posts, I gather that it was ran very hard towards the end, as it had a busted passenger side mirror, some body damage, and a hyrolocked engine. At least it went out in 4x4 with mud flying! Seems very fitting, a very different end to it's mechanical life than where it started on the luxury car lot. Just figured some of y'all would appreciate a final update, and it does finish up this thread finally. I believe I have screenshots of some of the for-sale ads, which I'll add here when I find them.

• Like 3