Reliable Recovery mounts (Winch/Tow)

mtnboy

Possibly mixed around in a few different topics so lets try get it all in one.

Any structial mounting

Winch mounts

Bars

Recovery mounts

First up

I'm looking at doing a front bar, I've seen the front of our vehicles and to get a mount suitable to house a winch looks like a bit of a thought out task. the stock bumper mounting points look weak and the main rails look quite thin and not flat.

Would you sandwich a steel sheet around the rectangle tubing or where the factory bumper mounts mount?

• Like 1

On mobile. But there is a thread where someone mad a hidden winch mount. With pics to show how he built the mount.

Very similar to how a winch bumper mounts. Using the stock upper bumper mounts then triangular down to the tow hook mounts.

The bumper mounts are soft. But the tow hook mounts are attached to what we have for a frame in the front. If I remember correctly it's even stated that the passenger side one is the dedicated hard pull one. But double check your owners manual. It's in there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I had a little search around and found something that is a good start, my stock bumper mounts are not in great condition so I would look at trying to use more bolt holes.

I've also front mounted my intercooler which the bracket will need to fit around.

Winchbar%20mount_zpsea4x4yv1.jpg

intercooler%20front%20mounted_zpsefn9thl

• Like 1

Not sure if they make one but they make front hitches for lots of trucks. And all the winch companies make front receiver mounts. Plus that makes it removable

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on my own low profile winch bumper right now. I cut the pinch seam on the rad support and rewelded it flat so I have just a flat steel plate attached to the to the bumper mount and recovery mount on each sidecbeb8011fc369c23980bb8e73ea233cf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I like this!! I've wanted to do a hidden winch setup but your setup might be better option...looking forward to seeing the finished product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The angle of the bottom of the side plates is a straight line to the K member for a sleek skid plate as well

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Awesome work guys, I've sent some cardboard mock ups out to the engineers to cut and fold a few mounts. Not even sure on the price yet :/ need to be done though!

I also went for a drive around a farm today and my rear hitch was a bit low for a couple v dips. I think I can do mounting lower on the bar and cut it down to make the hitch sit higher on her

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I have managed some progress, will be using from the factory hook mounts up to the bumper mounts. Heavy as heck! Seems overkill, but I was told clubs like a certain thickness, which was 10mm for hook and recovery mounts. It features a 5mm bash plate to protect the future (when I can afford it winch) I'm hoping it looks good when it all goes on, it will probably all up be 60kg :/ But i'll have protection right to the back of the sump.

mounting%20position%20view_zpsq44ozpww.jbash%20plate%20set%20up_zps5yf5mkwy.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

IMG_20160807_164240_zps8ugsmkhf.jpg

Sorry about the delay, didn't think anyone was following. I got it to fit, haven't got a photo of it all painted black yet.

I am thinking of adding tube bar corners to give it a finish look and hide the ugly fluid reservoir!

• Like 3