Did I just waste my money on this D44 Jeep axle?

I just picked up a CL jeep diff that was supposed to be a "narrow-track" 1980 Cherokee Chief axle. It still had wheels and leaf springs attached to it, so I didn't measure the WMS-WMS before I paid for it. Now I strip the swag off it and I find it is about 64 1/2" wide.... Bummer for me.

Is the entire axle useless to me or can I shorten it and buy a waggy axle shaft for one side?

(I know, my own fault)

IMG_4380.jpgIMG_4378.jpg

After some surfing last night, I am now feeling better. It looks like I can cut it down, but if I knew I would be doing surgery on an axle, I wish I had gotten a high pinion...

Should I buy a waggy right-axleshaft or have the wide-track axle cut and splined? I'm only putting 33x10.50 tires on it, so it might not need anything stronger than stock.

So it's just the right side that's longer than the narrow width? You might be able to find a stock set for the price of one chromo longs. I'm saving for chromos because I like the added safety. I'm current running 33x10.50s

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I wouldn't cut it down.

The diamond axle under my truck is 64" wide .

It's a good width and should be easier to work with with more axle tube exposed

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It also isn't bad having a sightly wider stance when you lift the truck. Plus then you have an excuse to put on sweet fender flares. :D I put on wheel spacers to match the axle widths and bolt patterns front and rear.

Edited by daver123