wierd weinning noise

mudfinder

the other day, after trying out my locker for the first time, after getting off the trail. i have the weinning noise comming from the bottom of the engine every time i give gas. is it possible it could be my waterpump? i know that my water pump is leaking and needs a new one? any ideas or anybody experience this?

Could maybe be the bearing in the waterpump going away. :shrug: Regardless, if you know its leaking, you should replace it. Having that go out sucks, especially if you're on the side of the road far from home. I know this first hand. :furious:

i removed my skidplate from the front and when the engine is running, it leaks coolant. also, when it gets hot it starts that weinning noise. the noise comes from the the middle to the bottom towards the front of the engine. i checked my belts and they seem fine. should my fan blade have any play? my fan blade plays alittle when i move it. i'll go ahead and change the water pump this friday, the furtherest i have to drive is like 2 mins. but i know i should still be careful. we just want to replace a water pump, not an engine. by the way, would i be able to fit a 3.3 or 3.5 w/out any modes?

Edited by mudfinder

The 3.3 is a direct swap, just reuse the old intake, exhaust and other accessories. The fan shouldn't have any play to it, if it does (and leaks coolant while running) you're rapidly on the way to a destroyed waterpump and/or engine.

did you guys know that the water pump for a path 4x4 is different from a path 2wd? it doesn't make sense but it's true. i bought a waterpump today, i took everything apart until i got down to the waterpump. i noticed that my water pump is smaller. i took it back and got one for the my 2wd, same design cut out but the 4x4 water pump has like an arm to it where the 2wd doesn't. i think that's pretty wierd, maybe because i don't have a t-case??? :confused: :confused:

yea it is wierd the have 2 diff designs for our water pump, but then again the dealer ship couldnt even tell me which belt to use, square or round. so i had to buy both

Guest pathman

likely one of your belts are slipping. If you are leaking antifreeze maybe some got on the belts.

There is a product called belt dressing try spraying your belts with the stuff and see if the noise goes away.