DIY front cat replacement

swampass2

Has anyone replaced their own front cats? Mine are shot and are sending the pathy into limp mode and I'm stuck in Nebraska halfway through a cross country drive. Don't want to spend $1,200 to get them replaced. I have the service manual (which is useless for this) and took a look at them from underneath (looks like it could be a little tight getting to the manifold side bolts), but wondering if anyone has any pointers on things to look out for, or maybe a link to a write-up?

Edited by swampass2

What is the issue that has you in the direction of replacing the cats?

Replacing them would be best with some air tools. The issues is that some of the bolts and nuts can easily snap. Considering age and corrosion.

The fronts are kinda a PITA to get to.

The cheapest place I've found them is online. Not sure if waiting is in your schedule. Otherwise your kinda stuck with auto store ones. Then either attempting it yourself.

Or having a shop do it. Best bet would to find a reputable exhaust shop for this.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you're looking for some info type "front cats" in the search area at the top of the page and check "all forums" There are 73 topics posted there. Might help.

• Like 1

Long story with this but I've been getting the p0011 and p0021 codes on and off since I bought it. Replaced the ivt solenoids a while back and since then a simple oil change fixes the problem. On this trip the car went into limp mode with those codes. Oil change gave me another 60 miles before they come up again but with a cat efficiency code. Can't remember which bank that was for. Logged o2 sensor voltages it looks like my cats are shot but only code that keeps coming back is the p0011 now. No more cat codes. The more I get into it the more I'm afraid I have the timing chain gasket/oil pressure drop issue AND bad cats. Bit the bullet and took it to a dealer for diagnosis. Fingers crossed but if it's what I think it is I'm probably gonna junk the pathy and look for alternative ways to get the rest of the way across the country. Good times!

Edited by swampass2

P0011/12?

Thats the cam shaft phase solenoid correct?

You say about 60 miles post oil change. Highway miles?

Check your oil. Have a leak? Could be consumption. If your low on oil. Those sensors freak out. First time happened to me I was doing 75mph down the turnpike and it went to limp mode. Pulled over. Opened the hood. Decided to check the oil. Way below low. Barely on the dipstick. Topped off. Started up and it cleared on its own.

My 3.5 has some pretty bad consumption going on. Now smoke, no leaks. But my plugs do get kinda black. It's the oil rings.

PS. I do believe I also have a shot converter. Always throwing P0420. Even after swapping O2 sensors. Just bying time to replace them both.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Edited by Rebelord

Just to circle around on this, I still suspect cats may be bad or going, but the car is at the dealer now and parts have just been ordered to R&R the timing chain, guides, tensioners, TC covers etc. Had a fear with these P0011/P0021 codes that I had the blown TC cover gasket issue and think that it finally went kablamo after driving halfway across the country at highway speeds. All the signs were there, oil consumption without any noticeable leaks, throwing these 2 codes towards the end of oil life, and I had some definite whine from the timing chain case. Be in Nebraska for about a week more while this gets fixed (just ordered parts today)... Hopefully this will get me another 100K miles and it'll be worth the price ($2,100)

The oil consumption is a result of the rear timing chain cover gasket failing on the VQ35DE. It's a fairly common issue, at least common enough to be mentioned in several forum threads across other sites. Problem is you have to replace the entire rear cover, which means a compete R & R of the timing system is recommended while you're at it.