Towing/hitch harness

Jmoor85

UPDATE:

Just towed and launched my boat. Boat it 2200lbs according to factory specs. Add the extra batteries and trolling motor, amps ect. Trailer is 500lbs. So I'd say just a hair under 3000lbs. It toes it just fine. Takes a lot longer to brake. Maybe 40ft extra going 60mph. But it pulled it right up the steep boat ramp. So I'd say the 3500lbs they have it listed online is accurate. Maybe need a brake tune up. I think for now I'll just do the four prong connection. It's cheaper and I only use my buddies dolly a couple times a year.

You should be fine. I used to daily tow a 2500lbs trailer all over South Florida. As for your brakes, good pads and make sure you have good fluid. If its brown, then it's absorbed quite a bit of water. Time to do a flush and good bleed. Can be done with a buddy. Just make sure to buy 2 large containers of brake fluid. As for pads, I tried using Power Stop, but they didnt last 30k before falling apart. So went back to Akebono's. The Akebono's work good. But do take some time to warm up.

As you experienced. Just have to make sure you leave extra room for braking. Being a boat trailer, if you do find yourself wanting more. Can look into surge brake setups, they work pretty good.

Cool. Thanks for the response. I'm glad someone mentioned SURGE brakes I couldn't think of the name. I knew they weret electric. There are quite a few kits out there if really needed.

I have towed my boat three times now. Certainly will not get any speeding tickets. Going up hills (big Northern California mountain foothills) USA chore. But she does great. I do have one question though as for the harness. I got one of those Walmart kits. I read the post on here regarding the correct wires. However what am

I missing when it comes to brake lights? Seems I need a fourth wire from the trailer to hook up. I have running lights and signal lights. But the brake lights are complete different wire and have nothing to tie into it. I'm kinda lost.

Working of the assumption that your trailer lights have integrated brake/turn signals (single bulb) then you need a tail/brake light converter, because our trucks use separate brake and turn lights.

Working of the assumption that your trailer lights have integrated brake/turn signals (single bulb) then you need a tail/brake light converter, because our trucks use separate brake and turn lights.

Its called a taillight converter or amber turn signal converter. Universal part that gives any vehicle a pigtail that uses separate turn signals (amber). Basically a box that wires into everything on one side and a 4 way flat (pigtail) on the other

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Okay so I just went and got that box. I now have an extra wire (red) that I didn't have before. I hooked up the green wire as before to passenger side. I ran it under the rear sill. The yellow wire off the harness is hooked up to the grey and blue wire, brown wire is hooked up to pink and blue, white is ground and that's grounded to the screw as before on inside of the compartment. The red wire is hooked up to green and yellow wire. But now all I have is running lights. No brake lights, no signals. I took the red wire off just to see if the signal lights will work as they did last night and nothing happens. The new harness has that black box and it shows which wire is which and I have it all hooked up according to the write up by Slick. But I'm at a loss now.

Problem is the harness. I got everything to work and then they don't. Then they flicker and go back out. Looks like I'm taking all this junk back and I'll let the RV place hook it all up. They guarantee their work for life so it'll be done.