Can't get fuel injector to budge

JackStraw1

Finally we have better weather here and I got around to doing some truck repairs and cleaning today. I'm still getting that intermittent Code 51 despite the diagnostic check testing ok . A plug check showed dry fouling of the number one plug. Plug is getting spark so I decided to change out the fuel injector. I had to nudge one of the screws with a hammer and chisel but got the retaining cap off. Problem is I can't get that frickin thing to budge. I'm twisting pretty hard on it and nothing (maybe half a mm) but really, nothing. Cleaned all around it with a brush to scrape of any rust/debris.

I'm thinking about disconnecting all spark and putting the fuel pump fuse in and cranking it a few times to see if the fuel pressure will push it out. Anybody done this or got a better idea how to get the injector loose ?

nvm.

I found a pair of big right angle needle nose that fit pretty well without crushing the plastic and that got it moving . After that was just a matter of time :happy:

BTW, there's a vendor on Ebay that has Beck Arnley injectors for late model WD21's for $ 20 a piece if anyone is needing to replace an injector.

I ended up grabbing my #2 ( stuck injector ) with a pair of pliers and twisting with one hand while levering with a big flatblade or something with the other hand. It did come out but only after about 30 minutes of wrestling with it. I couldn't manage to get the area that clean so I had to be really careful while changing that injector. I had a helofatime getting it back in though.... no one told me that you lubricate the o-rings with fuel before ya re-install.... oh well.

I ended up grabbing my #2 ( stuck injector ) with a pair of pliers and twisting with one hand while levering with a big flatblade or something with the other hand. It did come out but only after about 30 minutes of wrestling with it. I couldn't manage to get the area that clean so I had to be really careful while changing that injector. I had a helofatime getting it back in though.... no one told me that you lubricate the o-rings with fuel before ya re-install.... oh well.

Motor oil works too.

Follow up. No more intermittent CEL and ECU Code 51 since changing the #1 fuel injector. For anyone else experiencing this, if the diagnostics check out and the injector ohms out within spec, check the plugs. It was the only place I could get a sign that there was something wrong with the dry carbon fouled plug.

Thanks for suggestions on getting it out. I really was torquing the crap out of it with my hand to the point where I thought I was going to break off the plastic if I twisted any harder. I ended up getting a long right angle needle nose from HF to fit pretty well. That plus a couple squirts with acetone/ATF mix and it started rotating immediately. That tool has become indispensable to me for working on this truck. Works great for breaking coolant hoses loose on the hose nipples in back of the plenum too when you get around to taking that off. Which you will......LOL