Caught Between a Rock & a Hard-Place

DRAGON64

So I am looking for my first Pathfinder. Just today, I looked at one off of Craigslist; it is a `91 with 187,000mi on it. 3.0, 5-speed, AC, power windows etc etc etc. No rust anywhere! Body is straightest of any 25-year old vehicle I have ever seen. Interior is dirty, but manageable. The timing belt, water pump, and associated hoses and thermostat where replaced in December. The vehicle has the following issues: dry rotted tires, window and sunroof seals; engine has a miss; clutch lets out right at the floor, and the windshield is cracked. The asking price is $3500

I left knowing (or thought I knew) that this was not "the one" yet now, I want to venture and take a chance that the issues, except for tires, are not that serious or costly... name the clutch and engine miss. Would you make an offer on this SE?

When I got home, I went back to looking at craigslist, and the remaining Pathfinders are in rougher shape or higher mileage... should I wait for a better 25-year old Pathfinder to surface? Is this as good as it gets? Rock-n-a-hard-place!

3500 is too high. i bought mine for 2300 it had 132k 92 5 speed SE no rust from Tulsa. it did require a timing belt change but non the less 3500 in my book is way to high

Agreed, for that price it should be pristine and probably lower mileage, BUT I don't know what the local market/availability is like either. They are dime-a-dozen out here, rust free.

Going to have to make a call on it...

B

He offered $2950 and I am letting it ride. In a week maybe he will have a better price for me... I wish I lived a little closer to the left. Here in Alabama, we get the Pathfinders (and other cars) that drop down from the nothern states after they have seen a season or two in the snow/salt belt. Thanks for the replies, I will keep looking!

You need to go south, where there is no snow, not north. Good 4x4s are hard to sell down here because nobody wants to pay what they are worth so you end up with little or no rust vehicles with straight body and clean interior for about half the asking price of a snow belt 4x4. My 94 SE with low mileage 31" Cooper A/Ts auto 4x4, nice sound, straight, no issues, clean interior, for sale on CL for 5 or 6 months at 2800, 2500, 2300, 2000...and then finally I just had to let her go at 1850, course my truck did have 217,000 miles on it but the timing belt had already been done at 200,000 before that. So, you might wanna think about getting a trailer and finding a deal in Texas or Louisiana....check northeast Texas CL, I saw they had some stuff there...Yes, $3500 too high, that should be perfect condition for a wd21, you can get some really clean and straight R50s for that down here.

• Like 1

I have to agree with the rest of the gang that $3500 is high for dry rotted tires and seals with a random miss and a clutch that needs an adjustment. I would head west (or look to the west) and shop over there for a better shape WD21; but that's my two cents worth!

Edited by SpecialWarr

6 years ago I paid $2,200 for my wife's 94 the clutch slipped a little if you really got on it everything else almost like new it had a little over 165.000 miles on it.

I did have to fly from so ca to salt lake city to pick it up.

I'd offer about $1.500 for it with all the problems it has

Edited by vagabond

Is the Rebelord 1999 SE in your signature the Pathfinder you were referring too? That is a nice lookingride!

Edited by DRAGON64

Alright, an R50 has presented itself; a real nice Black `96 model to be exact. A little higher mileage, but much better over-all condition than the `91 I originally posted about. I won't know till I see the car on Tuesday evening....arrrrgh, rocks and hard places should be for offroad, not decision making!

So I originally started looking for a WD21 and ended up with an R50 finding me instead... At least now, I can say that I am wiggling my way into the world of Pathfinding... here is a link to the journey towards my (new-to-me) `96 SE:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/41865-going-to-look-at-96-this-evening/

I have paid $260 to $2,500 for my pathfinders. It depends on what it is worth to you. R50's are ok suspension is very probmatic.

I'm still learning, but yes, the suspension looks like a challenge. I do not plan anything crazy for now, as I am enjoying the stock stance.

The suspension isn't hard. There are plenty of threads about it and the various lift options. Just a matter of your preference.

I'd focus on any maintenance items that need to be addressed first. Plus go over the bushings of the suspension with a comb. As once you lift it. Any problems will be magnified greatly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk