Broke down at Canadian Tire

maddmark1981

Yesterday I seafoamed my engine, changed the oil and put a new fuel filter in. I decided I'd go to Amherst and buy some new plugs that we're on sale (NGK Double Platinums) . Bad idea, I came out of the store with a $100 bag of goodies and went to start and ba ba ba bah bah bbahhhh, no fuel pressure again. So I started my usual investigation and it led me straight to the fuel pump, after buying a hand full of over priced tools from CT to get to the pump I got it out and she's finally dead, I ordered a new one $160 has to come from Montreal so it's going to take two days, the rubber seal is stretched slightly and I didn't want to pay the $25 so I didn't order it. Is there a trick to read using the seals once there been stretched?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Update: got the rig towed home, the fuel pump works on the battery but not while hooked to the harness, the fuse is fine, the relay is clicking, there is power on the fuel gauge wire and the low fuel light wire but no other wire is giving power.

It could be the sending unit the thing the pump is attached to, just had to change mine, check the wires on top of the tank. They will be corroded where they have those plastic white caps. You can bypass them or buy a new sending unit.

Edited by adamzan
  • Like 1

f78c10089567f7d1d2d23b6362eb9fc4.jpg43e4d7b7b832c2a601bb1eadb2188826.jpg

This is where I'm at with the redneck rebuild, I believe this will work but I'm not sure what wires attach to what, when I took them off I didn't make a note of what hooked up to what so I need some sort of diagram I can't seem to find

I think I'm going to get in there with the test light tomorrow, I know which ones are the gas guage and the low fuel light, just the hot and the ground from the pump itself I'm not sure of

The diagrams do take a little getting used to but once you figure them out, they're really helpful. The letters tell you what color the wires are. Pretty intuitive except that L means blue. So looking at the diagram, you have the thing with the M in it (the pump Motor) with a black wire (B) and a white wire with a blue stripe (W/L) coming out of it. Black is ground (as it usually is) and white with a blue stripe is your + line.

There are two motors shown but I think that's just covering the difference in wiring between the D21 and WD21.

• Like 1

Huh. That's unhelpful.

I wonder if your pump is aftermarket. If you can find where that harness plugs in (likely by braille), can you pull it out enough to see the wire colors for the harness it plugs into? That part of the harness might be coded differently. Or maybe Nissan just ran out of blue striped white wire and figured purple was close enough.

I did find a couple threads with close up pics of where the wires go. This one shows a white wire w/blue stripe. This one looks like it might have your white with purple though.

I did have a thread here somewhere on this, called fuel pump disaster or something like that. The wiring was discussed, but for the life of me I can't remember which was which.

I got it all finished, went for a long trail ride along the coast yesterday with the woman, kids and dog and all is well. The purple is the blue yes, I traced it back to the previous plug and the wires changed color...

• Like 1