Coilovers

the hard part would be fabricating a mount for the coil over to attach to the lower control arm. and still be able to be part of the steering assembly. remember a McPherson strut assembly needs to rotate at the top to allow the wheel to steer. I'm not sure a coil over has that ability.

the hard part would be fabricating a mount for the coil over to attach to the lower control arm. and still be able to be part of the steering assembly. remember a McPherson strut assembly needs to rotate at the top to allow the wheel to steer. I'm not sure a coil over has that ability.

Yeah I forgot about that, I've just been scheming ideas in my head and it sounded it would be sweet if it could work.

There is actually a set of coil overs that work for the R50. For some kind of van in Japan. Uses the same front suspension setup. A guy on the forum a ways back had a set. I remember he had them up in the For Sale section.

But they weren't exactly lift coils, I think they were more geared toward lowering. However, they do "exist".

Yep, they were for the Nissan Elgrand (E50). They're on eBay semi-regularly (int'l sellers), such as this set. The strut plates are different, and you can't use the rear coils because of a completely different setup (their springs mount on their trailing arms, not the axle).

You could probably find suitable front springs to get some lift, but I'm not even sure the coilover is the same length. I was chatting with the guy who had the set originally; another guy on NICO now has them on his R50, but I've not looked into that any further.

• 4 months later...

Maybe someone should contact Calmini and see if they would be willing to put custom coilovers into production... They will be looking for a minimum order quantity in order to do this, and pricing for the coilovers should be expected to be high, considering it looks like they're using Fox or King dampers.