frame paint suggestions?

Dma251

I am welding on a set of TG rock sliders on my WD21, and had to grind the factory paint off the weld areas and will need to paint those areas as well as the rails. In the past I have used POR15, ospho and redox bases, and just plain satin black spraypaint, with varying degrees of success.

My frame is rust free, and I'd like to keep it that way, so what do you all use?

On my last Pathfinder I tried Rustoleum. It lasted about 6 months. Por-15 doesn't seem to be available in my area but lately I've heard it is good(last two posts)...I'd love to try it. Anybody think bedliner would work better?

After I tack-welded the rails into place, I cut the welds holding the mounts to the frame and finished the welding on a bench. After that I wiped them all down with paint thinner to remove the mill-oil followed by rubbing alcohol, and put two coats of POR15 on them. I will do another coat tomorrow morning, and then let them cure for a few days. Then weld them onto the frame and POR over the welds. Probably top-coat on the truck with semi-gloss black. The POR15 is SHINY but not UV stable.

Will post a final pic when they're done!

IMG_4220.jpgIMG_4222.jpgIMG_4226.jpgIMG_4215.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...