Considering buying an '88...

jjonez

I won't go into detail right now, but my beloved R50 was totaled. Just weeks after new wheels/tires and other parts as well. So now I'm looking for a replacement and this nice looking two door came up recently for $1400:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5527761196.html

Any thoughts? Also there is this '92 available as well for only $100 more, with the same number of miles: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/5526860254.html

Any reason I should take one over the other? I heard there were some changes between the 80's and 90's models, but overall I'm not too familiar with the 1st gens, and don't know how many headaches I should be expecting with these older vehicles.

Thanks for your help.

-JJ

Sorry to hear about your R50, that sucks.

Obviously check on when timing belts were done and check for rust. I think I see a hole at the bottom of the driver's side rear door opening of the '92 (last pic). That's an odd place for rust, which would make me nervous about where else it could be rotten. The '88 looks much cleaner from what I can see. The main difference (other than number of doors) is the fuel injection. Two-doors are (with rare exception) throttle body injected, four-doors are multiport.

Since you are in California I would keep looking. You're in the land of milk and honey to find a well kept WD21. I remember a year ago there was a red '90 2 door for sale in San Diego for $1,400 that was in way better condition that someone had posted here.

Both of those trucks seem to have some mystery behind them. The red 2 door was in some type of accident since the rear driver side window was replaced.

That pathfinder has been on craigslist on/off for about a year. I was going to buy it last year and offered him $700. It would not pass smog, it had electrical issues and the undr carraige is beat to hell. It has been rear ended and the trim is broken in the back. The front interior is perfect and that is why I wanted it. I have 11 pathfinders and this was going to ad to the collection. The after market cb and such is poorly wired and the hot side is wird around the the rt hood hinge.

Edited by byob
  • Like 1

I'm not sure which truck Byob is referring to, but, I do find it odd that the pics of the red two door look a little grainy, as if they've been resized, that to me is usually a sign of a scam and they've stolen someone elses pics and reposted, and I don't like the fact that everything looks really new, like the BFG spare tire and a full new set of Hankooks, and there are no right side exterior pics, I've fallen victim before to some clever "exclusive" photography where the vehicle looks awesome but you go to look at it and find it's got some issues that you couldn't see in the photos.

The 92 looks good to me for that low amount of money, for less than $1,500 I'd say that's right on. But I'm in Texas, and I guess we charge a lot more for our vehicles here. $1,500 is what you spend on a basic piece of crap and don't expect much from in my area.

If you're a first time CL buyer, don't be surprised if you look at atleast 10 - 15 different trucks before you finally find the right one, cuz probably 90 % or so of the ones you actually go and look at will turn out to be dogs.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies, you guys are catching stuff just from these minimal ads that I had no idea about. I've called the guy with the 2 door but he has yet to make time for me to take a look. Also, he apparently reduced the price to $1200 just this morning even though I've already expressed an interest in purchasing it... suspicious?

Obviously check on when timing belts were done and check for rust. I think I see a hole at the bottom of the driver's side rear door opening of the '92 (last pic). That's an odd place for rust, which would make me nervous about where else it could be rotten.

Nice spot! And now that you mention it in the 4th picture I can faintly see some rusty discoloration below the rear door in the same position.

Both of those trucks seem to have some mystery behind them. The red 2 door was in some type of accident since the rear driver side window was replaced.

How can you tell the window was replaced?

That pathfinder has been on craigslist on/off for about a year. I was going to buy it last year and offered him $700. It would not pass smog, it had electrical issues and the undr carraige is beat to hell. It has been rear ended and the trim is broken in the back. The front interior is perfect and that is why I wanted it. I have 11 pathfinders and this was going to ad to the collection. The after market cb and such is poorly wired and the hot side is wird around the the rt hood hinge.

Oh dang, that's quite a pathfinder collection. Which listing are you referring to in this case?

I'm not sure which truck Byob is referring to, but, I do find it odd that the pics of the red two door look a little grainy, as if they've been resized, that to me is usually a sign of a scam and they've stolen someone elses pics and reposted, and I don't like the fact that everything looks really new, like the BFG spare tire and a full new set of Hankooks, and there are no right side exterior pics, I've fallen victim before to some clever "exclusive" photography where the vehicle looks awesome but you go to look at it and find it's got some issues that you couldn't see in the photos.

The 92 looks good to me for that low amount of money, for less than $1,500 I'd say that's right on. But I'm in Texas, and I guess we charge a lot more for our vehicles here. $1,500 is what you spend on a basic piece of crap and don't expect much from in my area.

If you're a first time CL buyer, don't be surprised if you look at atleast 10 - 15 different trucks before you finally find the right one, cuz probably 90 % or so of the ones you actually go and look at will turn out to be dogs.

All good points. The picture quality did strike me as odd initially but I kind of dismissed it. I've gone to see several vehicles in the last couple months, all 90's-00's nissans and toyotas. On two occasions I've lost a literal race to get a great deal on a tacoma or 4runner haha. Other than that everything I've seen has been in disappointing condition. Also I'm a total snob for manual transmissions, which makes finding a 4x4 that much more challenging.

If you want a manual...which I understand...its going be harder to find one. You might want to add Xterra(s) to your hunt to give you more options. If you are willing to travel a bit I have noticed there are more manual 2 door WD21's in Washington state for some reason.

The red one...if you look at the driver's side rear window it is not tinted like it is supposed to be and was replaced with one from an XE. The other side has the original SE tinted window.

If you want a manual...which I understand...its going be harder to find one. You might want to add Xterra(s) to your hunt to give you more options. If you are willing to travel a bit I have noticed there are more manual 2 door WD21's in Washington state for some reason.

The red one...if you look at the driver's side rear window it is not tinted like it is supposed to be and was replaced with one from an XE. The other side has the original SE tinted window.

Looks like the 2 door listing is gone. I'm keeping my search fairly local, there's no reason for me to be in a rush to get a new one, other than I just really want one haha. And yes 1st gen xterras are on my list as well. I'm not a big fan of the stadium roof look, but I do like that it would be a familiar drive train. Besides that I'd be happy with a 3rd gen 4runner, 1st gen tacoma (not a crazy overpriced one), 1st gen frontier, or if I'm really lucky, a manual R50 with the VQ35.

I am referring to the 88. It is now for sale $1550. It must be a scam. The original listing was in Mira Mesa last year. I am a pathfinder pack rat

I am referring to the 88. It is now for sale $1550. It must be a scam. The original listing was in Mira Mesa last year. I am a pathfinder pack rat. I just picked up a 89 that needs some tlc. Ad said excellent but far from it

• Like 1

I had mine for sale for like 6 months, finally had to give in at $1850, which sucked hard because my truck was really clean, inside and out, with really nice tires...but no one would give it what it deserved, I finally had to just let her go. It's hard to sell old 4x4s for any real cash in Houston though, cuz we don't get snow and it's next to impossible to find places to go offroading legally, so no one really cares that it's a good condition WD21, they just see an old car, nothing special.

Yeah they just don't have the same rabid fan base as toyotas. Which is actually nice as a prospective buyer, not as much pressure to make a quick decision. Whereas a deal on an older 4runner or tacoma will literally be gone within hours of posting.

• 3 weeks later...

Since you are in California I would keep looking. You're in the land of milk and honey to find a well kept WD21.

Too true. I just picked up a super clean '87 yesterday. I will make a post with pictures and questions pretty soon.