Xterra roof rack install on my '88

I picked up a complete rack with deflector and basket a few months ago for cheap and it's been hanging around waiting to go on. Overall this project took me about a month to do because I only have a little bit of time on the weekends and I'm picky. One weekend for mock up, one for cutting the tubes, one for painting everything, one for the actual install, one for narrowing the deflector, etc.

I used 5/16x18 button head allen bolts for this and rivet nuts encased in 3M weather strip adhesive to make sure nothing leaked. I didn't realize a 17/32" drill bit would be so difficult to find, never did find one actually. I ended up drilling the holes with a 35/64" as it's just a c**t hair bigger. I did accidentally tear into the headliner a little on one hole though. Whoops. Oh well 1 out of 14 ain't bad I guess.

For me, notching the front foots wasn't necessary since I almost never open the sunroof and besides, the basket will sit on top of it like the Xterras do anyhow.

20160319_164736_zps14s1xeu2.jpg

20160319_164723_zpsseblwdii.jpg

20160319_164703_zps3xu9nas6.jpg

20160319_164652_zpstcdh5xhc.jpg

I took 2" out of the deflector to match the 2" I took out of the cross bars. I mocked it up and propped it up so when I filled the gap with JB Weld the factory bow remains. Let it set up overnight and sanded it down. I did paint it today but didn't take a picture of that. You can kind of tell where the pieces were joined back together if you look at it just right but not that bad. I may redo it, depends on how much it bothers me. I still haven't entirely decided on how I'm going to go about narrowing the basket though. There's a lot going on there.

20160320_094220_zpskhhxmmjb.jpg

20160320_122836_zpsldhxeuny.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

The deflector idea didn't go over so well. Dogs were playing and knock my over, it went flying, and broke. So I'm going to find another one and try PVC or ABS plastic cement for more strength.

Haven't touched the basket yet other than measure and mark some stuff.

• 2 months later...

This looks awesome. Was this an actual Xterra rack, or a mod kit to look like one. I'm asking because I've been wanting the same type of Xterra rack, and wasn;t sure of the fit. I have 2 Xterras in a local JY and it would be simple to just yank the racks off and mod them accordingly...