Cost effective way of cutting off parts at pick and pull

Cuong Nguyen

I need to cut off the front right body/fender support at the pick and pull. Anyone got any ideas how I can go about it cheap and fast. I would like a cordless Sawzall but it isn't cheap. So far it's looking like a small hack saw that I would have to purchase.

20160316_160946.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Hacksaw sounds like it would take all week. I got a cheap inverter from Hazard Freight ($40 or so) a while back that will run my 4" angle grinder off a car battery. I wouldn't call it an ideal setup but it beats the hell out of a hacksaw. I cut down a concrete-filled metal post with it a few months ago and it worked much better than the cordless sawzall. If you don't have a grinder, or sparks are a concern, I'll bet a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade would work about as well as a sawzall for what you need it to do here.

The other thing I'd look at is how the body repair manual shows that panel being held on. If you can just cut the spot welds with a hole saw or something and then pull the seam sealer away you might save yourself some time there.

Looks like some rust under the battery tray in that one.

• Like 1

I agree with Slartibartfast.. also some place will let you go in the yard with your vehicle ...so you could also operate the grinder with the inverter pluged on your car/truck... this way you don't have to go around with a 30+ lbs battery and grinder etc...

on another note, Slartibartfast, do you know if such a body repair manual exists for the R50 platform (2001-2004) ? (Sorry to highjack the thread , but this 1990 repair book has some pretty good procedures in it... I would love to get my hands on the R50 version...(if it exists)...

S.

I ended buying a cordless angle grinder from Home Depot since I didn't have time to look around pawn shops. I figured I would have more use with it in the figure than I would with a sawzall. Didn't even consider renting or looking to see if they had one available to rent. Oh well. I only got 3/4 done when the battery gave out so I'll give it another shot again next time I'm off.

There are a lot of spot welds which doesn't surprise me since this is an integral piece of the body. I also think the battery tray is welded onto it too. the lower front valence is bolted onto it by two bolts. guess what. I forgot to bring my 10mm wrenches and socks.