New guy here, help

bruinsbb6

Hey there, let me start by saying I'm New to Pathfinder's & 4x4 vehicles but not to Nissan's. I have a 92 240sx that I built & now looking for my Nissan weekend off road toy for those camping, fishing, hiking, & shooting trips. Tomorrow I'm purchasing a 96' Pathfinder Automatic 4x4 with the VG33E MOTOR 180k miles. I don't know what trim due to the trim badge missing from the back.

Anyhow I was hoping to get some pointers on what to look out for when I go see the truck again tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Oh & I talked the Sale price down to $800 from $2,000. Seller lost his driving privileges needs to sell. He says it runs fine, engine sounds good, tags expired, needs Smog check. Backed DMV fees of $180.

(I went to go look at it once b4 & engine was.nice & quite, no ticking or knocking, but i did see smoke coming up from the passenger side exhaust manifold & idle jumped around a bit. ) Thanks again.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Check the strut towers for rust , especially if you're in a state that uses salt or brine in winter . When you drive it , get it on a road where you can get it over 50 , if the rear end feels odd over bumps or other changes in the road surface , "twitchy" kinda describes it , it may need rear control arms (bushings really) . 3.3's , not sure what year's but definitely 96's , had issues with the exhaust manifolds cracking . If you see "smoke" it may be cracked or have been improperly replaced at some time . If all else is good the only deal breaker out of these for me would be rusty strut towers .

Check the strut towers for rust , especially if you're in a state that uses salt or brine in winter . When you drive it , get it on a road where you can get it over 50 , if the rear end feels odd over bumps or other changes in the road surface , "twitchy" kinda describes it , it may need rear control arms (bushings really) . 3.3's , not sure what year's but definitely 96's , had issues with the exhaust manifolds cracking . If you see "smoke" it may be cracked or have been improperly replaced at some time . If all else is good the only deal breaker out of these for me would be rusty strut towers .

Awesome thanks bro. I'm in California so I don't think the rust issue should be present. Also as far as I know this has been a California kept vehicle. Thanks a lot I really appreciate it.

Hey there, let me start by saying I'm New to Pathfinder's & 4x4 vehicles but not to Nissan's. I have a 92 240sx that I built & now looking for my Nissan weekend off road toy for those camping, fishing, hiking, & shooting trips. Tomorrow I'm purchasing a 96' Pathfinder Automatic 4x4 with the VG33E MOTOR 180k miles. I don't know what trim due to the trim badge missing from the back.

Anyhow I was hoping to get some pointers on what to look out for when I go see the truck again tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Oh & I talked the Sale price down to $800 from $2,000. Seller lost his driving privileges needs to sell. He says it runs fine, engine sounds good, tags expired, needs Smog check. Backed DMV fees of $180.

(I went to go look at it once b4 & engine was.nice & quite, no ticking or knocking, but i did see smoke coming up from the passenger side exhaust manifold & idle jumped around a bit. ) Thanks again.

Look under the back of the truck in front of the spare tire...kinda by the fuel filter...you have fuel lines and brake lines there I have a 98 and just replaced both fuel and brake lines due to rusting and let me tell you it wasn't a fun job to do...look at the valve covers most likely has a leak but gage how bad it is...mine had caked on oil all over everthing

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have a feeling your using Tapatalk. If you see error messages or things didn't seem to work, just ignore it. Tapatalk is not that great. I recommend just using your normal browser. This will keep duplicate threads being made of the same thing.

Ok so I went to go see it and inspect it really good.

Price worked down to $800 from $2000

CONS: .Rear windows & switches don't work .Rear driver side window switch missing .Rpm tachometer works sometimes .Rear hatch handle broken hatch doesn't open .Passenger side tie rod was loose needs to be tightened .Both front axle rubber covers are torn .When in 4x4, front hubs have a continuous loud clicking sound when turning only .Some grinds getting into or out of both 4x4 modes sometimes .Car slightly jumps or makes thump sound when put into drive.

He said in the whole year that it sat he never used the 4x4 didn't know how to use it. Is that why it's grinds? If I flush out old fluid & put fresh fluid in would it usually make a difference? Do the 96's have automatic locking hubs or should there be a visible manual hub lock because there wasn't.

PROS: No major rust visible anywhere except exhaust .Strut towers are clean no cracks or rust visible .Engine nice & quiet .Drives smooth in 2Hi .Clean title .Clean body

So what do you guys think? The main thing I'm concerned with is the occasional grinding going in or out of 4x4 & the thump of slight jump when putting car into drive. I'm the year it sat never changed any fluids or engaged 4x4.. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to NPORA!

I deleted the one thread that had no replies and merged the remaining two. Please do not post similar or identical threads in several places around the forum, it just makes it harder for other members to offer the help you need. Just pick the one area that seems most appropriate to you and post there, if it needs moved later we can do that. Often the desired resolution comes from members building off of each others idea's. When those are spread between multiple posts, it takes longer for things to get sorted out.

And a side note, as 5523 mentioned above please ignore errors that tapatalk may give you when posting and/or creating new threads. It is a known problem with TT and one that is not valid because your content is actually posted. Just refresh your view and you will see it.

Welcome to NPORA!

I deleted the one thread that had no replies and merged the remaining two. Please do not post similar or identical threads in several places around the forum, it just makes it harder for other members to offer the help you need. Just pick the one area that seems most appropriate to you and post there, if it needs moved later we can do that. Often the desired resolution comes from members building off of each others idea's. When those are spread between multiple posts, it takes longer for things to get sorted out.

And a side note, as 5523 mentioned above please ignore errors that tapatalk may give you when posting and/or creating new threads. It is a known problem with TT and one that is not valid because your content is actually posted. Just refresh your view and you will see it.

Oh ok awesome yeah thanks it kept saying not posted so i continued trying

At $800 bucks it sounds like a pretty good deal even with the problems. It definitely needs cv joints or complete axles (rockauto.I've had good luck with Cardone select.).The grinding when shifting into 4 wheel drive is common if you don't do it quickly. The major concern is the noises shifting into drive.Could be a broken mount or something more serious.Its just my opinion but I think I would pull the trigger.

"front hubs have a continuous loud clicking sound when turning only"

Probably means your hubs and cv axles are bad and both must be replaced.

Not a big problem for an $800 truck. If you can do this yourself, it will be easy and not too expensive. But if you have to hire it out, it's still worth it, but you need to have the $ available.

At $800 bucks it sounds like a pretty good deal even with the problems. It definitely needs cv joints or complete axles (rockauto.I've had good luck with Cardone select.).The grinding when shifting into 4 wheel drive is common if you don't do it quickly. The major concern is the noises shifting into drive.Could be a broken mount or something more serious.Its just my opinion but I think I would pull the trigger.

Oh ok cool (4x4 grinding). Yeah I think I'm going to get it. Just have to make sure the paperwork checks out. Apparently this guy bought it from another guy who lost the pink slip, and this new guy never went to DMV to put it in his name. Sob i might still have to track down & contact original owner for Bill of sale with their name on it.

"front hubs have a continuous loud clicking sound when turning only"

Probably means your hubs and cv axles are bad and both must be replaced.

Not a big problem for an $800 truck. If you can do this yourself, it will be easy and not too expensive. But if you have to hire it out, it's still worth it, but you need to have the $ available.

Ok thanks for the info yeah I will be doing the work my self over the coarse of a year due to $$$ so if all goes well by this time next year it'll be on the road or I should say "off-road" haha, looking how I want it.

They will only make noise under power. I had the same problem with mine. I didn't know I needed CV's until I shifted into 4wd.

Awesome thanks that makes sense now

Edited by bruinsbb6

Hey buddy! I'm alike you, built and worked on a couple of 200sx's (was in the uk) and now

Moving into pathfinder territory.

Goodluck tracking down previous owner.

Hey awesome thanks man, I have the address on the old registration form, hopefully they still live there...