1995 Pathy VG30E - Oil Pump?

Zed

Ok, I guess that's a relief.

Thanks for verifying the pieces.

That same photo album has pics of the hole in the pickup tube. Obviously, this is not an ideal condition. I guess I need a new pickup tube or the sieve. Any thoughts?

I'm still trying to track down my issue. Now that I've eliminated a clogged pickup tube, I guess it's on to the oil pump?

There's plenty of space now to pull that thing.

Looking for some feedback.

Just hope that you didn't destroy any bearings from oil starvation.

It looks possibly that piece of that crappy drain plug got sucked up and lodged itself inside the pump prevent good flow. Not sure how far that small piece good go but you're already there, just just pull the crank pulley off and check the oil pump.

You can get a new pickup tube from Nissan. I don't imagine it would be too expensive. You can always get a JY part, but I'm sure you now see the labour involved to pull the oil pan. Unless you find a 2wd model.

UPDATE:

Down to the timing belt. Everything looks good in there. Trying to figure out the best way to lock the cams down. Zip ties?

Also, if you take the crank bolt out, how do you turn the crank to adjust the camshaft marks to the TDC dimples? I put the bolt back in to turn the belt to TDC position, but if I take it out everything will probably move.

Maybe a stupid question, but I want to make sure I don't screw this part up.

Having a hell of a time finding OEM Nissan oil pumps for vg30e. The Nissan dealer in town is checking, and NissanPartsDeal is super slow to confirm availability. Any aftermarket brands that could be recommended?

Thanks for the assistance guys. Your input is most appreciated.

If you're lucky they don't. If you catch a valve partway open they'll jump. It doesn't hurt anything but it is annoying.

Yes, Nissan (Atsugi) pumps are getting very hard to find. Check ebay?

Ok, at the pump... can't seem to pull that thing off. I've tried gently tapping it with a rubber mallet - nothing.

Do I need to remove the bolts from the water pump as well?

Maybe remove the Post?

Remove the crankshaft seal?

Looking at the FSM, I'm pretty sure I have all the bolts off, but it's not budging. Also looks like a seal along both sides of the top of the oil pan. I'm assuming that's all connected to the oil pump.

You might notice the oil pump gasket hanging above the oil pump. So, that's not kosher.

oil%20pump_zpszd4trfue.jpg

Edited by Zed

Looks like bad news.

Got the pump off (actually missed a small bolt on pass. side).

Back of pump has alot of metal shavings see pic. [A bit hard to see, but pretty much everywhere you see a whitish fleck, that's metal shavings.

back%20of%20pump_zpslmljxfss.jpg

Then when I examined the crankshaft, there was metal wrapped around it. I'm pretty sure its aluminum. Not sure how a screw from the oil pan could make it to the engine. Any thoughts?

Here's the sad sight

metal%20around%20bearing_zps8qnqkmzh.jpgS

That's all cut-your-finger-off metal wrapped around the front seal. ..It's wrapped in there good. Maybe got the crankshaft stuck, minimizing the oil pump pressure.

Jeez, What am I dealing with here?!

I haven't opened up the oil pump yet. One damn screw is giving me fits.

Getting that deep into the engine is slightly above my skill set. Is this thing worth saving?

What am I looking at in terms of repair?

Basically, is there any hope to salvage this engine?

Pull apart the pieces in the oil pump and see if there's a piece of that drain plug lodged into it. It doesn't take much for the gear pump to get jammed up. You might be lucky if you didn't burn up the bearings. Best thing you can do is be yourself and used oil pump throw it on and crank the motor over also you want to have the old pressure gauge hooked up to make sure you have adequate oil pressure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Ok, I'll pull that oil pump apart and see what I find.

A used oil pump? I'm not going through that process again!

Yeah, but all that metal twisted up in the crank? I would think I need to dislodge that stuff first, before I put it back together, right?

I was able to pull some metal out of there, it's definitely aluminum.

WOW!!!

I'm not sure if it's worth putting a new pump on that engine if there is metal wrapped around the crank where the main seal goes. Metal in the oil goes through rod and main journals. Then the bearings get scored, and it's only a matter of time before it's telling you a knock knock joke.

I'm guessing with the oil pump gears broken like that, that's what that clattering was!!, that you ran the engine with low to no oil pressure on more than one occasion. The bearings don't like that.

My bet is you're in for a rebuilt short block at the very least. May as well put a 3.3 in it!

Yeah, that's kind of my thinking. There just doesn't seem to be much point putting an oil pump on there.

So, it looks like I'm in the market for another engine - or sell this one for parts (that includes the complete new front suspension packages sitting in my garage!!).

I'm in the Eugene, Oregon area. Looking for engines or buyers. Probably make my way to the Parts forum.

Damn shame, because this thing ran great and earned it's stripes in the short time I've owned it.

If I didn't love the thing so much, I wouldn't have bothered to go this far!

Anyway, I really appreciated all the assistance on here.

UPDATE:

I have confirmed that those pieces in the oil pump come from those drain plug repair tools. The weaker portions of those aluminum wings went past the pump.

The question I have is - if that aluminum piece made it through the oil pump, where does it go from there? Is the front crankshaft seal lubricated directly from the oil pump? It didn't look like that to me when I separated the oil pump from the block.

I'm just trying to figure out how bad the damage is at this point. I guess I'll pull the bearing cap tomorrow and look at the bearings for scoring. If they are Okay, then maybe I just need to re-hone and replace the front seal. Wishful thinking, I know, but it's worth a look see.

:blink: I'll add those drain plug rubber whatsits to my "avoid like the plague" list. How the hell did that get past the screen on the pickup?

I can't say I'm optimistic about what you'll find digging deeper into that thing but I wish you luck all the same.

• Like 1

I tried to post these earlier, but couldn't sort it out.

The pickup tube had a hole in the sieve. It must have sucked that aluminum part into the oil pump.

pickup1_zpsxjogjxxu.jpg

Here is the part that got sucked up....

parts1_zps4egdtavx.jpg