Tailpipe rusted off

micahfelker

So my rig has been making this annoying rattling noise when it idles for awhile and I finally decided to check it out. Then I realized that the tailpipe was completely rusted out, which was what was causing it to rattle at low rpm.

eb9495f1adfc31dccd355f97bde9c24c.jpg

After taking the picture I bumped it an it compel tell fell off! Better than on the road, I guess.

952fb5e93f60f0f1176f4f930b727014.jpg

Anyway, I was surprised by how much of a difference it made in the sound. I went for a drive on some back roads in the hills behind my house, and the exhaust time is much deeper and more throaty sounding now. It sounds awesome!!! I think I'm just gonna leave it like this and not bother fixing it, since it doesn't affect much besides making it sound really cool. Is there any reason that I should consider welding it back on or replacing it instead?

On a side note, here are a few pictures from my drive (:

6c6c016e4ef42fe041fb13aa064ba736.jpg95ace4d306d8b7a0d8c829b2645dbb94.jpg4f6527438b3d5ae57118415ac4422b6a.jpgba20f72bc87230f1012c4fc13f639aa5.jpga01589e85335a4279d5cf6fa5db2aa8b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Is there any reason that I should consider welding it back on or replacing it instead?"

Only that dumping your exhaust out right there under the floor of your truck, paired with any holes in the floor of the truck, could lead to carbon monoxide in the cabin.

Your truck looks clean enough that it probably won't have holes in the floor!

You may smell your own exhaust when you are stopped and have your rear windows open.

But I drove my truck like this for perhaps 6 months without issue.

RoguePathy, yeah they're pretty strict with that kind of thing. I'm not too worried about it though because 1) I got it smogged last year so I have a couple more years until it needs to go in again, 2) by then it will probably have bigger issues I'll need to deal with, and 3) the part that came off was after the resonator so I don't think it changes much. I guess we'll just have to wait and see! ;)

jyeager, thanks for the insight. I'll probably leave it like this for now then unless I find one at a scrap yard for a good deal. Was there an issue that came up after 6 months or is that just how long you waited to replace it?

Edited by micahfelker

My whole rear section rusted off at the flange between the resonator section and the muffler.

After some suggestions on here, i decided to hack a straight cut as close to the muffler as i could. It sounds much nicer at idle, and doesn't drone much at all.

But yeah, try and keep the exhaust as low to the ground as you can, and not pointing into towards the floor, as others have said.

-Kyle

My whole rear section rusted off at the flange between the resonator section and the muffler.

After some suggestions on here, i decided to hack a straight cut as close to the muffler as i could. It sounds much nicer at idle, and doesn't drone much at all.

But yeah, try and keep the exhaust as low to the ground as you can, and not pointing into towards the floor, as others have said.

-Kyle

Same happened to me. I cut it off after the muffler and ran a turndown for a few weeks before cutting the whole thing off and making a custom exhaust.

Kyle, thanks for the input. It's the part after the resonator that came off, so it's still pointing out the back, not up at the floor, even though it is kind of up under there where it's dumping now. How necessary is the resonator? I was actually considering doing exactly what you and 0metra did: cutting off all the pipe behind the muffler and welding on a turndown or side dump, or just leaving it straight. Idk. What would you recommend?

The resonator simply muffles the excess sound that escaped the muffler. I've been wondering what it sounded like if the resonator was removed. Seems like it sounds nice despite the drawbacks.

RoguePathy, yeah they're pretty strict with that kind of thing. I'm not too worried about it though because 1) I got it smogged last year so I have a couple more years until it needs to go in again, 2) by then it will probably have bigger issues I'll need to deal with, and 3) the part that came off was after the resonator so I don't think it changes much. I guess we'll just have to wait and see! ;)

jyeager, thanks for the insight. I'll probably leave it like this for now then unless I find one at a scrap yard for a good deal. Was there an issue that came up after 6 months or is that just how long you waited to replace it?

No issue. I just wanted to have it fixed. Trying to keep the old girl in good working order.

FYI, the local muffler shop only wanted around $200 for an entirely new exhaust from the cats back. The place was empty when I stopped by and I only waited 30 minutes.

But if you want to buy a bolt-on to do yourself, first make sure you won't have issues with rotted/seized bolts or flanges after the cats and buy the Walker system. Walker makes good stuff that fits right and is fairly priced.

jyeager, haha I doubt I could find a deal that good around my area. Even if I could I don't really want to replace the whole thing if it doesn't need it. Rather spend the money on a lift, you know? Anyway, right now I have two ideas/options of what to do: 1) just leave it how it is and forget about it unless something else goes wrong or 2) cut off all the piping behind the muffler and weld on a turn down. What would you guys recommend? Would there be cautions or benefits to one or the other? I want the best sound I can get without taking off the muffler.