Squealing belt on startup.

DanF.

2004 R50 Pathfinder SE 3.5L A/T

Hey all, I'm searching for the cause of a loud, squealing noise, that lasts from 10-30 seconds on a cold startup. I'm sure it's one of the belts, but I'm looking for a diagram, and can't find which section of the repair manual to search in. Here's the link to the index of the R50 repair manual: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/2004_Pathfinder/idx.pdf

Is there a tensioner that I can adjust? A cursory look showed the belts to be in serviceable condition.

Yes, there is a tensioner and it's very easy to adjust.

See if this video helps you. It's for a front wheel drive car, but the engine should be the same, just turned sideways.

If that doesn't fix it, then the squealing is probably coming from the power steering pump. That's a separate belt you can only get to from the bottom and it adjusts separately, without a separate tensioner because it's the only thing on that belt.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

2004 R50 Pathfinder SE 3.5L A/T

Hey all, I'm searching for the cause of a loud, squealing noise, that lasts from 10-30 seconds on a cold startup. I'm sure it's one of the belts, but I'm looking for a diagram, and can't find which section of the repair manual to search in. Here's the link to the index of the R50 repair manual: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/2004_Pathfinder/idx.pdf

Is there a tensioner that I can adjust? A cursory look showed the belts to be in serviceable condition.

Shoot some belt dressing on it too, might help

Sent from my SM-T231 using Tapatalk

Yes, there is a tensioner and it's very easy to adjust.

See if this video helps you. It's for a front wheel drive car, but the engine should be the same, just turned sideways.

If that doesn't fix it, then the squealing is probably coming from the power steering pump. That's a separate belt you can only get to from the bottom and it adjusts separately, without a separate tensioner because it's the only thing on that belt.

Belt systems are generally different from transverse and longitudinal engines, even if it is the same engine.

Edited by silverton
  • Like 1