Wheel Spacers for 31 inch tires

sgtogre

Title says it all really. I test fit a 31x10.50 r15 wheel today on my 98 SE and it was too close for comfort. Would of had rubbing at full lock as well as on the strut. frown.gif They recommended new wheels, and quoted me about 300 for them. bs.gif I don't think i need them. I was thinking i could go with some wheel spacers. They also said i could go down to a 30x9.50 r15 and it would be cheaper and it would fit fine. nono.gif For reference i am going with the General Grabber AT2 tires.

So a few questions:

Should i go with 1" 1.5" or 2" spacers?

Do i need to put them on all 4 tires or only on the front?

Do i need to worry about any other parts wearing out faster because of them?

Does anyone have a link to good ones? I am looking to get them cheap, but still need them to last.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-6x5-5-Wheel-Spacer-Lug-6x139-7-1-5-Fits-Acura-Lexus-Nissan-Toyota-Landcruiser-/131334382133?hash=item1e9423a235

I was looking at these, they also come in 2"

Thanks in advance for the help. This tire thing is a pain when you are going 3 inches larger than stock.

Spacers will help only where you're close to the strut and the brake calipers (15" diameter rim). Don't these rims have a backspacing?! If you upsize your tires you have a few options:

1. Backspaced rims (solves strut proximity)

2. Wheel spacers, (same as above plus clears calipers)

3. trim your bumper and fender liner (solves rubbing tires against bumper and fender liner)

4. lift your truck and do all of the above (solves everything!)

:tongue:

• Like 1

I run 31x10.50's right now on mine and she runs good...I had to do minimal trimming to the inner plastic wheel wells to prevent rubbing but other than that no issues and been running these tires for over a year now...I started out with them on stock wheels had more issues when I switched to the pro comps and that's when I trimmed...really easy tho took like 10 minutes

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Spacers will help only where you're close to the strut and the brake calipers (15" diameter rim). Don't these rims have a backspacing?! If you upsize your tires you have a few options:

1. Backspaced rims (solves strut proximity)

2. Wheel spacers, (same as above plus clears calipers)

3. trim your bumper and fender liner (solves rubbing tires against bumper and fender liner)

4. lift your truck and do all of the above (solves everything!)

:tongue:

Number 4 sounds the best!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I can't lift the truck. Budget issues and the wife doesn't like it that high up. So tires are my only hope of getting any kind of lift. The issue I am running into is strut clearance. The 31x10.50 r15 is less than a quarter of an inch from the strut, so I need to push the tire out. I am just wondering if anyone has used wheel spacers in this kind of situation.

Like bushnut said...

You shouldn't need to do anything. Put those tires on and go. I ran stock 15" rims with 31x10.5 without changing anything.

The only rubbing I had was the corner of the tire's tread would rub the frame rail gently when I turned all the way to lock.

If you have 1/8" clearance at the spring perch you are still fine.

So, I had the guys at discount remount the tire so I could get some pics and it fit! I don't know what the other guy did wrong, but I'm not complaining. It is close to the strut, but it clears. Also no rubbing on full lock. Looks like the 31's will happen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am jumping in a little late. I have been running 33's on my R50 with 1.5 inch spacers and the spacers have been a nightmare! I have replaced 3 ball joints in the last 6 months. So I am trying to down size my tires and get rid of the spacers. Does anyone know if 235/85r16 will clear the strut the tire size is a skiny 31.6" tire. Any help would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...