Introduction

Hello everybody I bought a 91 SE pathfinder for my first car(I am 16 next month). It is not the pretiest and has some rust but I got a great deal. My plans for it are to do a mild lift,possibly lockers,some offroading bumpers/sliders. Have not seriously gone over the truck yet but there are some things that I have noticed already. There is rust above the windshield so it leaks.The heater takes forever to heat up(any advice on why that might be would be great). My pathfinder is an Se so it has the rear tire carier but it does not have a roof rack. I am hoping to build a vechile that is decent offroad and can handle Albertas winters. Any advice is apericiated.

Also sorry if there is spelling mistakes this is send from mobile.

Welcome to NPORA.

For your heater issue I would begin with a coolant flush and replacement. Also drain and refill all fluids.

As for the leak, get some leakseal or other rubberized spray for a cheap DIY solution to the leaking. But address the rust first, grind it off, paint, then seal it. Just a simple and cheap idea. As for the the rest, browse this forum and you will find all of your questions answered.

Sent from my Pathfinder

The heater is probably slow because the thermostat is old and these trucks came with a crappy 170f thermostat. Change it out with a 180f you'll have much better heat. Good time to change the coolant and make sure it's the right mixture. I would also not seal the windshield with silicone it will just make it worse. Trust me I tried it and now I have to pull the glass to repair the rotten windshield frame.

If they say there is not t stat for yours ask for one from a 2002 xterra. It came with a 180f one.

I would also change the timing belt before any mods because if it breaks your engine will need to be rebuilt or replaced. It's cheap and there are how to's here to help.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Edited by adamzan
  • Like 1

Well I guess I won't use silicon then. The previous owner had to fix the heater so it might just be that it wasnt fixed well but I guess I'll have to look into getting a new thermostat. Hopefully that fixes the issue its not fun driving around in -30c with crappy heat.

Do you find it has better heat when accelerating, and its not as good at stops or on the highway? Does the engine appear to get up to temp.

Do you know what the previous owner had done to the heater? Was the core replaced?