err.....throttle stop screw

rc_cola_j

Sooo, I had a friend of mine offered to give me a tune-up and a glance over before going on a long road trip in exchange for venison. I took him up on it. Well, you know that little stop screw on the throttle body that the service manuals say to NEVER TOUCH.....he touched it.

Long story short.......vehicle is running and idling properly for now.....in fact my EGR issue disappeared....., but I'm wanting to make sure it is set properly.

What is the proper procedure???

I have come across two different methods in my googling....

#1 unplug TPS, bring idle up to 600-650rpm with the stop screw. Then bring base idle up to 700 +/- 50 rpm with IAC adjustment.

#2 unplug TPS. Adjust stop screw until it 'just kisses' the throttle......adjust base idle up to 700 +- 50rpm it's IAC adjustment.

Which (if any) is right?

I have a week to figure this out. I really appreciate you all helping me out. I have learned a lot since buying my pathfinder and joining this forum. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK. Not sure what Crapatalk has to do with it, but whatever.

So, page EC-34 has an adjustment procedure for the FIC (Fast Idle Cam) in the 1998 FSM. I'd download the 2000 FSM from the pinned thread in the Garage section, look that up, and follow it. Seems pretty straight forward...

B

It's not the fast idle cam. It's the throttle stop screw.....the manuals say nothing more about this screw than "Do Not Adjust"

And yes.....the method for setting the idle speed is very straight forward.

My question was how to adjust the throttle stop screw back to where it should be so that I can continue on and set the idle properly afterwards

OK, I got a chance to go out and look, and I get it now, sorry for the previous confusion. 3 different adjustment screws... :rolleyes:

Anyway, it is the one on the top left of that whole system, and mine is secured with a lock nut and painted red.

First, how much did he turn it? Is it possible to just try to get the paint to line up again and determining the depth of the screw by and residual paint/no paint on the root of the threads?

Second, I've checked nine on a 1999.0 off and running, even operating the throttle, and the screw isn't even in contact with the stop by about .7-.8mm. I will double check this at hot off and running conditions tomorrow when I drive it. I can get accurate measurements for the gap rather than a guesstimate and for a lack of anything else, you just set yours there and see... :shrug:

Just let me know...

B

Well, the throttle stop most definitely contacts while hot, running or not so I measured the distance that the screw protrudes. .100" or 2.5mm or just on the minum side of that; I had to eyeball it with a machinist's rule since I couldn't get caliper jaws in there. The last bit of info, mostly for reference is the gap when cold, I'll try to get that today.

I'm wondering if getting voltage readings from the TSP hot and cold would tell anything, or even vacuum, but then there are so many things that go on with vacuum when cold, it might be meaningless even if there is a difference...

B

Thanks Precise1. I'm going to try each approach and see how it drives and runs.

Have completed option 1 this morning she seems to be running well.

I'm taking all of my tools with me so I can readjust to option 2 after a couple hundred km

Ok, time to wrap this up (I finally remembered when it wasn't raining).

The gap on the throttle stop (when cold) was somewhere between .044-.048" (1.1-1.2mm). It was a little hard to tell exactly, because I had to double up feeler gauges and there isn't much room to work.

I don't know what you mean by throttle opener, but this is what my set up looks like.

20160128_110131_zpsxr7rxdhk.jpg

I can take any other pictures or measurements that you might need, but I think this should put you in the right proximity...

B

Yup, that plunger on the right is your throttle opener, it holds the throttle slightly open at startup......it's another one of those things the repair manual says not to adjust.

I did notice that my throttle is sticking shut now. Will tweak it a bit and see what happens

Thanks for helping. I'm going to fiddle with it some more

• 3 weeks later...