is a 2000 nissan pathfinder v6 r50 an interference or non interference engine?

kane

I'm getting conflicting stories. If it's interference then it's basically scrap if the timing belt breaks. But if it is a non interference then i can repair it.

Autozone claims it is non interference but rockauto claims it is an interference. Anyone happen to know the truth????

nissan pathfinder

v6

4wd

340,000 miles on her and was running like a top before the belt broke.

2000 model is a VG33, which is interference. It's less interference than the VG30, and I have heard of people getting lucky, but it does the ability to knacker itself. You could just throw a belt on it and see if you can hear any dead spots while cranking.

Autozone may be confused because there were non-interference 3.3s made... for use in a rebadged Quest van sold by Ford.

If the valves are in fact shot, you could just swap out the heads. At 340k, though, it might make more sense to find a lower-miles motor to start with.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm not so sure anymore. I've seen a few of vg33 break recently and nothing happened. Maybe they are less interference than the 3.0? Regardless people should just change the belt on time and avoid the annoyance of a breakdown.

• Like 1

From what I've read on here, the valve reliefs on the 3.3 are cut so deep that the valves and pistons only overlap ever so slightly, so you'd have to have a valve at full lift at the same time the piston's coming up to have a problem. The smaller the overlap, the greater the chance of getting lucky, which it sounds like a lot of people do with the 3.3.

Either way, good to hear yours lives again!

Anyone have knowledge with the VQ35 on this matter? I know my timing chain will make noise before it kicks the bucket, but I'm curious as to whether it's high interference or not.

340,000 miles on her and was running like a top before the belt broke.

340k Miles ! That's the most I've heard of. Any history of major repairs (rebuilds, trans work, etc) to achieve that? Keep going!