Are my motor mounts worn? [video]

patqx4

Hi, I'm having a rough idle problem only when stopped in gear, like at a red light with my foot on the brake. The truck seems to shudder and vibrate excessively, especially the exhaust, when looking at it (in drive, wheels chocked) the pipe coming from the drivers side catalytic converter vibrates more than the passenger side pipe. Google has made me think that bad motor mounts may be the culprit.

I shot this video revving the engine in drive and reverse while standing on the brake. The motor seems to have a lot of movement, but I'm not sure if it's excessive, or just a normal amount of movement.

I'm open to other suggestions for a probable cause as well. Thanks for reading!

Looks fine to me. But then again, so did that girl the other night...till i sobered up!

But honestly it looks normal imo. Someone else should reply soon as i am semi-new to pathfinders.

I wish I would've done a similar recording on my buddy's R50 when we replaced his driver's side mount (was in two pieces when we did his SFD). Do you notice any additional shudder while driving around when it shifts into 2nd? That's what his truck was doing, as if the engine was settling back down onto the mount during the shift.

His passenger and transmission mounts seemed okay, but were obviously the only things working. We suspect that the mount has caused a leak on the driver's side near the cat from the engine movement, but we've not been able to take a better look.

OK, I guess the mounts are fine. There's no problems with gear shifts, the only thing going on is a rough idle around 600rpm, the only time it's that low is stopped in gear when warm. I think there might be a vacuum leak somewhere.

600rpm sounds low. Should be idling around 700-750rpm on a warm idle. I mimic what others said, they look fine to me. On my bmw when the mount blew I actually got an indent in the top of the hood pad from the power steering resevoir, as well as a racked radiator neck from the stress...that was fun.

Any codes?

Yeah it idles around 750, just drops down when it's in gear which is normal. I have 2 evap codes currently, p0455+p1448. Torque says gross leak. All the plumbing is in tact. I plan on testing the vent valve when I get a chance. It's tough to find evap leaks and vacuum leaks without a smoke machine.

Haha I've seen that too, they take a drag off a cigarette then blow it into a vacuum line. I would try it with a blunt but then I'd probably forget what I was doing.

• Like 1

I saw a video on Youtube where the guy hooked a cheap 12v air compressor to a glass jar with a burning charcoal briquette and some torn-up cardboard inside. It seemed to work pretty well, but I was a little leery of shooting bits of cardboard into the motor, so I designed a similar unit around a cigarette. It works great, except that each cigarette only lasts about a minute. I had no idea how expensive those things are.

I'll bet something based on the glycerine/water mix in a fog machine or a vape pen would work pretty well.

Having used the $1300 equipment once, I'm not sure it does LOL. That thing was amazing. Quieter, too.

Here's my hackjob:

I've seen a few better designs since I made it. One guy used a bunch of incense sticks in a can, which probably smelled better. Another guy used a hot resistor in a pot of baby oil. Come to think of it, the pro machine I used ran baby oil and was probably just that, only painted up nice and with wheels on it. Probably wouldn't be difficult to replicate, now that I'm thinking about it.