Royal Purple Manual Trans Fluid

maddmark1981

8159d5a5d49f023fdab3ab53c671c040.jpg

Ok so here we go, after much run around and research attempts I have purchased 4 quarts of this RP Syncromax.

Im planning to put it in my Manual Trans 95 WD-21 187468fb18b09135d5040315133b6061.jpg

This was $20/quart.

Now I could have opted for the cheaper Motomaster 75w-90 but I had a gift card I got for Christmas and I try to treat my girl to quality lube.

Im only doing this because shes been getting harder to shift in the cold temps and Im hoping this will solve the problem... Im foggy on the process of where/ how to drain and refilling takes place through the shifter? How do I go about this ?

Merry Christmas everyone and happy new year... Thanks

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Merry Christmas to you too, I am not all that familiar with the manual as mine is an auto, but I remember the procedure is something like the following -

1. Locate inspection/fill nut on side of manual box underneath. Remove to allow manual trans to 'breathe' to get the fluid out and also in case you can't fill through the gear lever hole!

2. Locate the drain nut directly underneath the manual transmission. Grab a drain pan, loosen nut and drain old oil out.

3. Start removing center console plastic. I believe there's two screws at the front, two underneath a plastic flap that you have to pry up with a butter knife and two inside the console lid under a little piece of carpet/felt.

4. Unscrew the gear knob, maybe really tight to undo. If all fails, wrap it in an old t shirt to protect the surface and use clamp pliers to get it off.

5. Lift up the gear boot, there should be a metal circlip or a zip tie holding it on. Remove with needle nose pliers or cut what it holding it. Installation, just use a new zip tie.

6. Pull gear boot off, now you should see a C clip, remove with needle nose pliers. Ensure gear lever is in neutral. Remove gear lever.

7. Fill the trans. I heard it's a slow process because the oil has to filter down through all the gear syncros. Might take a couple of hours to get it done.

From what I have read on the boards here, the fluid needs to be GL4. Anything else will harm the soft synchronizer rings in the transmission. Even though GL5 can be used in place of GL4, forum members say not to do it.

• Like 1

iirc the detergents are to aggressive for the soft parts in our transmissions. Straight GL-4 only, no GL-5 or "GL-4 Compatible"

Perhaps 5523Pathfinder will chime in on this, he used RP before his trans died, I'm just not sure about the exact product he used. Mine died about the same time and we both opted for RedLine MT50 in our replacements. No problems since and this is the fluid many opt for, often after learning the hard way.

• Like 1

I heard (from a friend in the VW crowd) that GM syncromesh is the best for our type of trans. VW's have the same "yellow" metals and this is what they all use with great success.

Plus it is easily attainable and cheaper than royal purple or redline. Also called Pennzoil syncromesh I believe. You should be able to get it at a GM dealer or NAPA.

Edited by adamzan
  • Like 1

iirc the detergents are to aggressive for the soft parts in our transmissions. Straight GL-4 only, no GL-5 or "GL-4 Compatible"

Perhaps 5523Pathfinder will chime in on this, he used RP before his trans died, I'm just not sure about the exact product he used. Mine died about the same time and we both opted for RedLine MT50 in our replacements. No problems since and this is the fluid many opt for, often after learning the hard way.

Yep, I did. I used RP Syngear 70-90w that is compatible with gl-4 and gl-5. Now to be fair, my transmission was already going due to a previous service before I bought my rig. I bought it with 86k on it and made it to around 135k before having to change the transmission. By no means did the RP fluid save or deminish the internals. It was a band aid. After swapping in another transmission, I filled it with Redline mt50 as Red stated. I just flipped 250k this morning and have had no issues with my transmission since.

I do recommend the Redlne Mt50 though. It is formulated for the softer metal that our gears and components are made out of. The "compatible" fluids can have additives that weaken those metals.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In case you are still looking for it, my NAPA ordered Reline for me. I ended up getting the dealer to drain and fill because my drain plug was STUCK. Then I had to add the last two quarts.

I use Redline MT90. Luckily, there is a shop here that carries it. The last time I bought it though was online by the case. Also, I had the drain plug problem and it turns out that the plug is a metric 13mm where a standard breaker is 1/2" (12.5mm). Harbor Freight sells a kit with the metric plug adapters. The only other option is heat.