shocks

porridgebird

If you want a cheap replacement for road use go with whatever brand has a lifetime warranty if any of your parts houses offer them. KYBs at the carquest near me are free replacement. If you are doing off road use if get a stiffer shock, rancho or Bilstien as the guy above me said. I have the adjustable rancho 9000s on mine right now. I like them. I have a set of resivoir Bilstiens I am going to put on next.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I bought Skyjacker Hydros for under $150 on 4wheelparts and am happy with the performance, but they were a pain to install. I had to put in the bushings myself and the bushing/sleeve were too wide where it mounts to the front control arm and I had to cut them down on each side.

• 1 month later...

what are the best economical shock absorbers. Ive seen monroes that are oe replacements that are really cheap at rockauto like 15 -17 dollar each range. Ive never replaced shocks so uncharted territory.

Ranchos or Bilsteins.

I bought Skyjacker Hydros for under $150 on 4wheelparts and am happy with the performance, but they were a pain to install. I had to put in the bushings myself and the bushing/sleeve were too wide where it mounts to the front control arm and I had to cut them down on each side.

Rancho and Bilstein get my vote. More expensive than the KYB's but they are known to last for several years and provide good ride quality.

These guys. lulz.

Monroe's are going to be better than what you have now, and they'll probably last the same amount of time. The rears are easy. Bolt up top, bolt on the bottom. I recommend fitting the upper bolt on the new shock absorber before releasing its holder to expand. The fronts are easy but there's an extra step. You need a smaller wrench (8mm maybe?) to hold the threaded stud while you remove the nut on the top, and the bottom is just a standard bolt.

Noticing you have an SE. Doing this will remove the adjustable shock absorber function, unless you can source new OEM adjustables, but those are probably worth more each than a whole set of Monroe's... or even Bilstein or Rancho's.

Edited by silverton

KYB's suck. The used to be good, but I'm not sure what happened. We put a set on my friends 95, and it was more bouncy than the 20 year old stock shocks we took off. If you want just stock replacement, get some monroe sensatrac or oe spectrum, or whatever they call them now. They have lifetime warranty, and at least monroe is a decent brand.