Lockright locker question

JamesRich

Hey guys! I haven't been here in a while but I'm still rolling the pathfinder!

Anyone have a lockright installed for a while? I've had one in my truck for almost 6 years now and I think it's causing me some problems. I say "it's" causing me problems but not by fault of the locker itself.

Let me start by saying this thing does a great job off road! Still after 6 years and 37K miles it still locks great off road and clicks while unlocking on turns in town. for the last 3 years I've had a problem with a vibration when I'd go over 65 mph, but I rarely did because I'd always take back roads to my hunting camp so I never worried about it. Now, after 25 years of marriage my X decided to get on antidepressants and become a whore and finally left. So now I’m divorced and dating a lady I met online that lives 85 miles from my home. Since the pathfinder gets better fuel mileage than my titan I put some A/Ts on it and roll the hell out of it! The vibration has been driving me crazy! My rear tires have only a .050 difference in tread depth and I just replaced all the swing arm bushings. The thing is it vibrates sometimes and other times its smooth. When I shift gears I feel the rear kick over, which is why I replaced the swing arm bushings but they didn’t make a difference. The original bushings didn’t appear bad. It's also really squirrely to drive! It's all over the road. That got worse with the new bushing! My thinking is the slight difference in the tires is causing the problems. I think it’s only pushing the truck with the taller tire which is causing the squirrely problem. I guess I should never rotate tires with this locker in there. I pulled all the wheel weights and put a pound of lead shot in each tire. I have two sets of tires and have the same vibration with either set so I don’t think it’s a balance problem. If it was it wouldn’t go away some times.

Has anyone else had similar problems running an auto locker? I'd kind of like to hear someone confirm this before I pull it. I will try to find a differential in the pick a part with the same ratio and just swap it. I should really just buy a small car to roll back and forth but I’m never getting rid of the pathfinder and a single guy doesn’t need a full size truck, hunting truck, motorcycle, and a small highway car! My insurance likes me enough already!

James

• Like 1

I've had my lockrite installed for quite some time now and its definitely been over 100,000 miles. I've never had a vibration from the locker nor should I. If the adjustment rings were installed wrong you would of felt it a long time ago and probably damaged some of the teeth on the ring and pinion. Being it sounds like you eliminated a tire issue for the most part, my guess is that have a u-joint going bad. Inspect all the u-joints including those on the front axle. Does your vibration shake the steering wheel or the body?

• Like 1

No vibrations with mine, but I do experience similar symptoms of the kick or slack. I feel it when I am coming on/off the accelerator and when shifting. I think it is inherent in the locker design, but it does bother me to be honest. Like you, I thought it was the rear control arm bushings getting worn out, but I am reluctant to change them out for nothing.

Thanks for the reply's guys. Yes I installed the locker myself back in 2010. I put a new set of dynapro M/Ts and it was good for a couple of years. I rotated the tires a few times but don't remember if the vibration started after the first rotation or not. My second set of tires are yokohama geolandar A/Ts. They are all the same age and I always try to measure the tread depth and keep the rear even because I read that in the locker instructions. Now if one tire is taller than the other I'm not sure, I can only measure the tread accurately. I may try lowering the pressure in one side till I can stop the kicking over when I shift, that should tell me the heights are even.

The vibration is kind of speed dependent but not always. 60mph and under it doesn't have a problem. 65mph and up it sometimes shakes and sometimes doesn't. It's always in the body, never the steering wheel, which is why I think it's something to do with the rear axle and not the tires.

I've checked the Ujoints several times even with the shaft off the truck when I replaced the pilot bushing. They don't bind and I can't feel any slack. They are the original ujoints as far as I can tell but the truck only has 137K original miles. I will probably just replace them to be sure but just like the swing arm bushing that weren't bad I hate to replace them for nothing.

Good to hear someone has rolled a lockright for over 100K! When I installed mine the axle parts didn't even show any wear. All the measurements were perfect to where the instructions said they should have been and it still seems to be working right so I don't think it has a problem. I think it's just fighting with a tire height difference.

James

I would think it's the tires if everything else checks out. One other thing to check is to make sure the weights on your drive shaft are still there. Mine fell off and it caused a slight vibe at the speeds your talking about. The factory weights are square metal pieces.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply's guys. Yes I installed the locker myself back in 2010. I put a new set of dynapro M/Ts and it was good for a couple of years. I rotated the tires a few times but don't remember if the vibration started after the first rotation or not. My second set of tires are yokohama geolandar A/Ts. They are all the same age and I always try to measure the tread depth and keep the rear even because I read that in the locker instructions. Now if one tire is taller than the other I'm not sure, I can only measure the tread accurately. I may try lowering the pressure in one side till I can stop the kicking over when I shift, that should tell me the heights are even.

The vibration is kind of speed dependent but not always. 60mph and under it doesn't have a problem. 65mph and up it sometimes shakes and sometimes doesn't. It's always in the body, never the steering wheel, which is why I think it's something to do with the rear axle and not the tires.

I've checked the Ujoints several times even with the shaft off the truck when I replaced the pilot bushing. They don't bind and I can't feel any slack. They are the original ujoints as far as I can tell but the truck only has 137K original miles. I will probably just replace them to be sure but just like the swing arm bushing that weren't bad I hate to replace them for nothing.

Good to hear someone has rolled a lockright for over 100K! When I installed mine the axle parts didn't even show any wear. All the measurements were perfect to where the instructions said they should have been and it still seems to be working right so I don't think it has a problem. I think it's just fighting with a tire height difference.

James

Hey Bud! Sorry to hear about the drama/divorce!

About those tires though... Take the time to remove them and measure the entire circumference of each with a flexible tape or string; it is much easier to be accurate that way, and you are are getting the measurement you actually want. We have had the Yokohama Geolander ATS on our R50 for 25k miles and they seem to be a well made, soft riding tire. Unless you got one that is defective, I doubt it is the tires.

I second checking the U joints as well...

B

Yes no carrier bearing on 4wd. I have two sets of lego wheels too. One set with the hankook M/Ts and one set with the Geolander ATS. I just keep swapping back and forth. Thanks for the idea with the string Precise, I hadn't thought about that. I did think about trying to measure the height of the rears on the truck. I made sure the pressure was even then hooked a tape measure on the top edge of the rim and then just let it rest against the tire and on the cement. I figured this would give me a close guess at actual riding height. I was going to bring the mitutoyo height stand out in the parking lot but didn't think the boss would have been happy about that! Anyway I got an 1/8 difference from the right to left rear tires. The only thing that doesnt seem right is both right side measured the same and both left measured 1/8 shorter. Might be the truck leaning. I swapped the front right to the left rear and it seems to have made a difference. It drives much better on the highway and the vibration is minimal. It still kicks over when I shift gears though with all new poly swing arm bushings and a tight panhard bushing so I'm not sure about that but as long as its not squirrely on the road it's all good. I've read about the road force balance and that probably help. I've got the sway-a-way front springs and the jeep V8 springs in the rear so it rides pretty ruff, if I can just keep the shaking away I'll be good.

James